From: "Damien Sykes" <damien@dcpendleton.plus.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Survey: Preferred Help Format

Hi there,
I have never been able to get WinHelp to work with screen readers. Having said that, WinHelp being a legacy format from the old XP days I have never actually tried using it with NVDA.
Again, PDF is another struggling point, at least for me. Converting into a plaintext or HTML format is possible, but it’s nice to be able to just open a document and read it straight away.
HTML help: I tend to prefer this option, though there are two options, packed as a .CHM (compiled HTML format) file, which seems to be the current Windows favourite, or as a single or multiple page folder or zip file etc. I personally had nothing against CHM’s until very recently, when some CHM’s I made refused to open the web pages on a friend’s machine, and when I switched to a 64-bit machine and all NVDA could say while navigating the contents tree was “Unknown, Unknown, Unknown”. Needless to say, that has unfortunately well and truly put me off CHM’s and has had me resorting to decompiling those into multiple page standard webpages and looking at the contents and index pages in source form. Again, not the best way to view help documentation in my opinion.
Obviously depending on machine, Windows version and, um, bitness? Screen reader version, confidence etc, different people will have different methods of dealing with these situations. But personally for me, the way I write help files now are as either a single document, or if it’s a big project, a folder with multiple HTML files, with the main file being called index which contains a table of contents.
Cheers.
Damien.