Re: Survey: Preferred Help Format

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do not like pdf due to the problems it has if its not used with approved readers and if there are any mistakes in tagging. its also slow.
HTML however its done is far better, If the only difference is the way its stored we need hardly know about it. One thing to watch is not to provide an internal browser of the programs own making as these are notoriously inaccessible unless based on something like the old Mozilla code or IE.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Survey: Preferred Help Format

Hi there,
I have never been able to get WinHelp to work with screen readers. Having said that, WinHelp being a legacy format from the old XP days I have never actually tried using it with NVDA.
Again, PDF is another struggling point, at least for me. Converting into a plaintext or HTML format is possible, but it’s nice to be able to just open a document and read it straight away.
HTML help: I tend to prefer this option, though there are two options, packed as a .CHM (compiled HTML format) file, which seems to be the current Windows favourite, or as a single or multiple page folder or zip file etc. I personally had nothing against CHM’s until very recently, when some CHM’s I made refused to open the web pages on a friend’s machine, and when I switched to a 64-bit machine and all NVDA could say while navigating the contents tree was “Unknown, Unknown, Unknown”. Needless to say, that has unfortunately well and truly put me off CHM’s and has had me resorting to decompiling those into multiple page standard webpages and looking at the contents and index pages in source form. Again, not the best way to view help documentation in my opinion.
Obviously depending on machine, Windows version and, um, bitness? Screen reader version, confidence etc, different people will have different methods of dealing with these situations. But personally for me, the way I write help files now are as either a single document, or if it’s a big project, a folder with multiple HTML files, with the main file being called index which contains a table of contents.
Cheers.
Damien.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Survey: Preferred Help Format

My team hasn’t told me which help format we will be using for the online help. So, I thought I’d ask a little survey:

Which online help system do you prefer to use and a brief why, a.k.a. does one grant you more opportunities than another or is one more difficult with which to make a screen reader work?:

A) Win Help (chm): old-style windows help system with a content tree on the left, a large pane containing information filling the right and center areas, and a header across the top with forward, backward type buttons.

B) HTML Help: the design is similar to Win Help, but the whole thing runs in a web browser—whichever one is your default browswer.

C) PDF – Portable Document Format with proper tags.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.