Re: Parenthesis

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

No, actually, I can’t. I work on a contract with the United States Government, so I only have on the computer what I am given, and that does not include any screen-reading software. I am sighted. I write help manuals and help files for software that other people write. I have sentences like this:

The second zoom method is to hold the control key while pressing + (plus) to zoom in or while pressing – (minus) to zoom out.

To a sighted person, the word “plus” in parenthesis clarifies that the symbol it follows is a plus symbol, just as the word “minus” in parenthesis clarifies that the symbol it follows in a minus symbol and not a hyphen or an em-dash or some other symbol. I literally need to know how your screen reader treats words or phrases that are in parenthesis so I can write to take your perception into account. The example above, combined with the previous example I gave will help a lot.

Tonea (by the way, it is pronounced Toe knee uh, with the accent on the knee.)

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Parenthesis

Um, can't you just type a paragraph such as the one you wrote, into a text editor, and then get NVDA to read it back to you, so you can tell for yourself?

Bear in mind though that this might be one of those things that varies according to the speech synthesiser in use, so different users might get different effects - but at least whatever the effect is will be the same for each person as they always get for that type of input, so they should be used to it.

Antony.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.