Re: I can't get NVDA's synthesizer to read Mexican currency as

Gene

I have no objection to NVDA not interpreting abbreviations but how numbers are read should be able to be set, as numbers, as digits, or as pairs, as you illustrated.  I thought these choices were going to be added.

Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I can't get NVDA's synthesizer to read Mexican currency as

To be honest, the potential for incorrect context is one reason NVDA itself doesn't try to process the intended meaning of text, but leave it to the synthesizer if it wants.  Eg when should "dr" be Doctor, and when should it be "drive"?  Is "st" Saint, or Street?  And when should "1234" be "One, two, three, four" and when should it be "One thousand, two hundred and thirty-four"?

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Hmm we had the inverse of this in another synth not long ago I believe i4e things that were not Mexican were being read as  such.
I hate this sort of abbreviation extension, the  probability that it will malfunction somewhere is very good!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-