Re: An unusual but potentially very useful idea about sounds

Antony Stone

This reminds me of precisely what I used to do in the 1970s with an AM radio
next to a PDP-8 minicomputer.

Reminiscences aside, though, do you think it's possible for NVDA to get this
sort of hardware-level information (and without interfering with it by the
very action of trying to find out what the CPU was doing before NVDA started
finding out what it was doing)?

I also wonder how specific this sort of information is to your design of
motherboard and sound card - another design which has components placed
differently (or better smoothing capacitors on the sound card's power supply
lines) might not be able to detect these fluctuations at all.

Antony.

On Thursday 14 December 2017 at 11:46:06, Gene wrote:

People who have followed my comments about sounds may believe that I don't
see much use in sounds in general. That isn't the case. I think many
sounds people rely on don't give much useful information or duplicate very
easily gotten information already available but here is an idea for sounds
that give unavailable information or information that is not conveniently
available.

Awhile ago, I got a new set of headphones that are unusually efficient.
They are so efficient that I can hear the sounds of the processor working
softly. I was initially going to buy an adapter with a volume control to
get rid of the sounds but I found that they were useful. For example, if
I am normalizing a file, the processor makes a certain kind of sound when
I'm using the program I normalize with. I don't have to check to see when
normalization is finished nor do I need a specific sound, nonexistent, to
tell me. I just wait for the processor sound to stop. The same when I'm
copying long files. I don't have to check periodically. If I'm
downloading something, again, my processor makes a certain repetetive
sound. I know when the download has finished by simply not hearing that
sound any longer. The same for uploads. I can tell when my computer
shuts down because the processor sound stops. I can tell, if I issue the
reboot command when the shutdown has ended. That tells me that the reboot
should be starting because a certain sound is heard.

I can tell my computer is rebooting and hasn't gotten stuck because I can
hear certain specific sounds during boot up. Others may find other useful
sounds. Should there be a feature in NVDA or an add on that allows the
user to hear such sounds, properly amplified, when desired? They would be
played through the sound card and heard over speakers or headphones,
whatever is being used. the function could be toggled on and off.

Pavlov is in the pub enjoying a pint.
The barman rings for last orders, and Pavlov jumps up exclaiming "Damn! I
forgot to feed the dog!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.