Re: Firefox Accessibility (was Re: Avg was Re: [nvda] malware bites question)

John Isige

I know this is difficult for people to grasp, because some of you have
to have a persecution complex about being blind. I have no idea what
article is being referred to, but it's correct. Essentially, the code
injection screen readers have been doing, because they were forced to do
it due to the fact that browsers didn't expose enough accessibility
information, is exactly the same kind of code injection malware uses.
That's because code injection is code injection. Look, let me put it
this way, and maybe it will help.

Suppose you install a program, and it installs a toolbar and resets your
homepage and all that good stuff, without asking your permission to do
so. That's bad right? Now suppose you install a music player, and
without asking you, it installs a thing that let's you download twenty
free songs from iTunes. You might be quite happy about that because you
get free music.

But it still shouldn't have installed stuff without asking you, right? I
mean even though this was a thing it turns out you wanted, it's not
really a good idea to let programs just install extra stuff without
asking. Well, same thing here. Sure the code injection was being used
for a good purpose in this case, just like the free music is good. But
just as you got the free music through a bad technique, something we
don't want happening really, so too with code injection.

Finally, let me answer the truly dumb objection that this doesn't really
help anything, because people who want to mess with your computer will
always find a way. Because I know that's going to be one of the replies.
That's like saying it's dumb for me to lock my doors, and that I should
instead open all my doors and windows and hang some signs saying "free
stuff, burglars!", because if somebody really and truly wants to break
into my house, there's probably a way to do it. So just because there's
been a bunch of burglaries in my neighborhood lately, I shouldn't bother
adding any kind of extra security or anything, because if they want to
get my stuff, that can, I can't stop everything.

As a matter of fact this is actually happening right now. They're
telling people repeatedly to lock their cars, because unlocked cars in
our neighborhood have been entered and stuff's been stolen from them. Is
a good response "eh, don't worry about locking your cars, if they really
want in all they have to do is find a handy rock or brick and break one
of your windows"!

That's absolutely true, but ignores the fact that actually, locked cars
aren't being hit. Now of course we can't say that will continue, maybe
they're just going for the easiest stuff and they'll quite happily start
breaking into locked cars if there are no more unlocked cars. But the
simple fact is that right now, unlocked cars are being hit and locked
cars are not being hit, so it seems pretty straightforward to me that
locking your car is a sensible response, instead of assuming that you
should do nothing whatsoever because if they really want to break into
your car, they will.

On 12/14/2017 4:14, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
All of this has come about because of the mindset of programmers I
fear. I'm beginning to see why Jamie went there, but its like having a
water pistol in a nuclear war.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.