From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:46 AM
Subject: [nvda] An unusual but potentially very useful idea about sounds

People who have followed my comments about sounds may believe that I don't see much use in sounds in general. That isn't the case. I think many sounds people rely on don't give much useful information or duplicate very easily gotten information already available but here is an idea for sounds that give unavailable information or information that is not conveniently available.

Awhile ago, I got a new set of headphones that are unusually efficient. They are so efficient that I can hear the sounds of the processor working softly. I was initially going to buy an adapter with a volume control to get rid of the sounds but I found that they were useful. For example, if I am normalizing a file, the processor makes a certain kind of sound when I'm using the program I normalize with. I don't have to check to see when normalization is finished nor do I need a specific sound, nonexistent, to tell me. I just wait for the processor sound to stop. The same when I'm copying long files. I don't have to check periodically. If I'm downloading something, again, my processor makes a certain repetetive sound. I know when the download has finished by simply not hearing that sound any longer. The same for uploads. I can tell when my computer shuts down because the processor sound stops. I can tell, if I issue the reboot command when the shutdown has ended. That tells me that the reboot should be starting because a certain sound is heard.

I can tell my computer is rebooting and hasn't gotten stuck because I can hear certain specific sounds during boot up. Others may find other useful sounds. Should there be a feature in NVDA or an add on that allows the user to hear such sounds, properly amplified, when desired? They would be played through the sound card and heard over speakers or headphones, whatever is being used. the function could be toggled on and off.