Re: Community advisory/Skype 8 for Desktop (aka Skype Preview): web navigation concepts required, existing nor new Skype app module won't work

Lino Morales

So the question I want to know is will Skype Classic die soon? I guess we'll have to wait on MS's answer in the future. On the Skype English hosted on the groups.io radio network nobody has broached said subject. Oh well if that's the case. Universal Skype for WIN 10 works OK.

On 12/13/2017 11:10 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago someone asked me if I could take a look at the latest incarnation of Skype for Desktop, nowadays known as Skype Preview (version 8.12). Preliminary results and the advisory is as follows:

Skype for Desktop has gone through a total redesign, borrowing UI (user interface) elements from universal app version of Skype (Windows 10). Instead of tabs and such, it is now a web interface. The following are notable features:

  • Contacts list is a combo box.
  • Call, My Info and other elements are buttons.
  • In order to type messages, you need to switch to focus mode from chat edit box.

Thus, you need to be familiar with web navigation concepts and commands to use Skype 8 for Desktop. Also, due to UI redesign, existing Skype app module that ships with NVDA, nor the app module for Skype universal app that ships with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on won’t work.

Technical: developer info for Skype objects will return values for both IAccessible and IAccessible2, usually seen with Firefox controls. Basically, it is a web interface packaged as an app. Note that installation of Skype 8 for desktop will fail on Windows 10 because of preference for Skype universal app.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph