From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Caption location

Hello tonea,

I understand that you're not allowed to install NVDA or JAWS on your work computer without approval from the IT department but, assuming you have your own personal computer at home, have you not thought of installing NVDA on it, just to get a feel for how screen reading software works? Alternatively, could you not arrange a half day visit to a vision rehab training center and ask them to show you JAWS or NVDA in use, and demonstrate how a user can switch the verbocity of punctuation symbols and what effect that has? On your home computer you could try creating a dummy document with parentheses, for example, to see how NVDA reads them, and you would find many people on this list only too happy to tell you where to find the setting to switch symbol level from all to most to some and then to none.

Why not install NVDA at home and then look at your department's public website and read the webpages and PDF file downloads and find out how a visually impaired person using NVDA would experience them? I've worked as a sighted Civil Servant for the Department of Transport in London, and as a blind person on a contract for the Environmental Protection Agency in the US, and I must say it's heartwarming to see somebody so keen to understand how blind and visually impaired people experience the world in which you work :)

Giles