Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Didier Colle

Hi all,

I am not sure what this functionality is exactly about.

When it is about switching off / dimming the monitor, I do not understand why it would not save on battery....

The backlight of a monitor in a laptop, tablet, smartphone, ... whatever is one of the main power sinks in such systems.

On a laptop, you can often (this may vary between laptops) use Fn+f7 for switching between different display modes (signal send only to laptop monitor, signal send to external monitor only or signal send to both) or Fn+F5 to dim the backlight and Fn+F6 to light it up.When I am on battery power for a long time, I dim the backlight with Fn+f5 to save battery.

Thus you don't need a NVDA add-on for that, although such add-on may be useful to read the status of the screen (to which monitor is the signal send, on what level is the backlight). I have no clue whether windows has access to such info, let alone it provides an api to request that info (it might be the case that on some laptops this is a pure BIOS feature completely transparent to windows).

Once again, I am not sure what this functionality is supposed to be exactly, and thus I may be speaking about something completely different.

Kind regards,

Didier

On 17/12/2017 9:24, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
From what I know about Windows and indeed most screenreaders, this function is just for privacy, ie its not going to save any battery.
If that is what you want then I'd have thought it was possible to do it, kind of like a screensaver that never actually loses focus but then you need to be able to tell nvda that you want it to use the invisible window not the visible one.

In theĀ  issues tracker there is a thread on this.
Also the ultimate way |of doing this on a desktop is called the monitor off switch..... ahem.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-