I tried the Screen Off that ely linked to, but found that it's the equivalent to closing the lid which locks/sleeps the computer.
For example, I start Screen Off, where the screen does get turned off, but next key press puts me on lock screen.
I want to be able to use the laptop with the screen off or blacked-out, so I can hear everything and photon-dependant people cannot see what is on my screen.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM <ely.r@...> wrote:
Joseph,
I agree. I also use JAWS an monitor the list. There have been many postings about the Screen Shade not working. This means that lots of developer time at VFO is being given over to this issue.

 Most importantly I want a screen reader to be its best at reading me the screen. Sometimes it is easy to fall into wishing that our screen reader could do all the things we know that sighted people are doing with their computers. OCR can be another of those diverting paths. There are good tools available for providing Optical Character Recognition, but that feature doesn't need to be part of a screen reader. With all the issues regarding browsers, I would rather see development efforts aimed at assuring us quality access to the internet.
The NVDA project is simply an amazing effort. It is making access to the screen available to everyone. Yes, we have to purchase high quality alternative synthesizers if we want or, in my case where hearing is also an issue, need them. NVDA could include those, but then they would have to pay for those rights or develop their own. The same would be the case for an OCR engine.

As to a screen shade, is it possible that there is a free or low cost app already out there that might serve? This group is amazingly active. Might we take on researching the screen shade issue to see what we can find that works and then letting all of us know? Let's join the folks, many of them volunteers,  who are working to create and advance NVDA
Apologies for the rant,
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

Hi,
Some JAWS users did report that it doesn’t work all the time.
As for my justification statement: like some in the community, I believe that NVDA's purpose is screen reading. I think NVDA Core should focus on screen reading, with add-ons coming in with optional features. I do understand that I can be heavy-handed at times like the one pointed out below, but I'm speaking from experience that just following the lead of another screen reader just because NVDA should is something I'm uncomfortable with. Also, privacy is something a shade feature cannot guarantee 100 percent, as there are numerous ways of breaching it, including sounds, speech, remote access, data sharing and many others.
Cheers,
Joseph