Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Kevin Chao

I tried the Screen Off that ely linked to, but found that it's the equivalent to closing the lid which locks/sleeps the computer.
For example, I start Screen Off, where the screen does get turned off, but next key press puts me on lock screen.
I want to be able to use the laptop with the screen off or blacked-out, so I can hear everything and photon-dependant people cannot see what is on my screen.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM <ely.r@...> wrote:
Joseph,
I agree. I also use JAWS an monitor the list. There have been many postings about the Screen Shade not working. This means that lots of developer time at VFO is being given over to this issue.

Most importantly I want a screen reader to be its best at reading me the screen. Sometimes it is easy to fall into wishing that our screen reader could do all the things we know that sighted people are doing with their computers. OCR can be another of those diverting paths. There are good tools available for providing Optical Character Recognition, but that feature doesn't need to be part of a screen reader. With all the issues regarding browsers, I would rather see development efforts aimed at assuring us quality access to the internet.
The NVDA project is simply an amazing effort. It is making access to the screen available to everyone. Yes, we have to purchase high quality alternative synthesizers if we want or, in my case where hearing is also an issue, need them. NVDA could include those, but then they would have to pay for those rights or develop their own. The same would be the case for an OCR engine.

As to a screen shade, is it possible that there is a free or low cost app already out there that might serve? This group is amazingly active. Might we take on researching the screen shade issue to see what we can find that works and then letting all of us know? Let's join the folks, many of them volunteers,  who are working to create and advance NVDA
Apologies for the rant,
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

Hi,
Some JAWS users did report that it doesn’t work all the time.
As for my justification statement: like some in the community, I believe that NVDA's purpose is screen reading. I think NVDA Core should focus on screen reading, with add-ons coming in with optional features. I do understand that I can be heavy-handed at times like the one pointed out below, but I'm speaking from experience that just following the lead of another screen reader just because NVDA should is something I'm uncomfortable with. Also, privacy is something a shade feature cannot guarantee 100 percent, as there are numerous ways of breaching it, including sounds, speech, remote access, data sharing and many others.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

it does not work on my 2 all in ones and I tried a little program on my laptops that should do this but it didn't work. I think it should be in nvda and Joseph for you just to say that you won't consider it if people say other screen readers have it is very heavy handed.

On 17/12/2017 21:24, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> Sure, turning off the monitor may work, but not always.
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
> Didier Colle
> Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:21 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?
>
> Hi Joseeph,
>
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
>
> Indeed, showing a blank window would not save energy. But why not simply switching off the screen (power button on an external monitor, or using the Fn+F7 (or similar key combination) on a laptop? Then you have both advantages, the pseudo "privacy" thing, and the energy saving.
>
>
> I agree with the rest.
>
> If an add-on would be needed, then I believe it is more worth
> investing in an add-on that can report the status of the screen
> (backlight level, to what port/screen the video signal is send), a bit
> like the battery level feature in NVDA (nvda+shift+b)
>
>
> Kind Regards,
>
>
> Didier
>
>
> On 17/12/2017 22:04, Joseph Lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>> As noted by some members, screen shade/curtain shows what appears to be a blank screen. This is used to "guarantee" privacy for screen reader users. Note the quotation marks around "guarantee", as it does not really guarantee privacy, as there are means to circumvent this (speech output, braille displays, remote access, etc.).
>>   From what I can gather, this function does not result in extended battery life nor power savings. When this function is turned on, an overlay window is imposed on top of other windows, and turning this off removes this overlay. As I said above, this does not provide privacy as many of you may think.
>> As for this being part of a screen reader: my overall opinion is that it should not. If people want it, then I think an add-on would be a more appropriate solution. Only after looking at justifications and costs should developers consider adding this into NVDA, in my opinion, and personally for me, a justification that goes along the lines of, "because another screen reader has this" is something I won't even consider.
>> Cheers,
>> Joseph
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>> Didier Colle
>> Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:37 AM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>
>> I am not sure what this functionality is exactly about.
>>
>> When it is about switching off / dimming the monitor, I do not understand why it would not save on battery....
>>
>> The backlight of a monitor in a laptop, tablet, smartphone, ... whatever is one of the main power sinks in such systems.
>>
>>
>> On a laptop, you can often (this may vary between laptops) use Fn+f7
>> for switching between different display modes (signal send only to
>> laptop monitor, signal send to external monitor only or signal send
>> to
>> both) or
>> Fn+F5 to dim the backlight and Fn+F6 to light it up.When I am on
>> Fn+battery
>> power for a long time, I dim the backlight with Fn+f5 to save battery.
>>
>> Thus you don't need a NVDA add-on for that, although such add-on may
>> be useful to read the status of the screen (to which monitor is the
>> signal send, on what level is the backlight). I have no clue whether
>> windows has access to such info, let alone it provides an api to
>> request that info (it might be the case that on some laptops this is
>> a pure BIOS feature completely transparent to windows).
>>
>>
>> Once again, I am not sure what this functionality is supposed to be
>> exactly, and thus I may be speaking about something completely different.
>>
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>>
>> Didier
>>
>>
>> On 17/12/2017 9:24, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
>>>   From what I know about Windows and indeed most screenreaders, this
>>> function is just for privacy, ie its not going to save any battery.
>>> If that is what you want then I'd have thought it was possible to do
>>> it, kind of like a screensaver that never actually loses focus but
>>> then you need to be able to tell nvda that you want it to use the
>>> invisible window not the visible one.
>>>
>>> In the  issues tracker there is a thread on this.
>>> Also the ultimate way |of doing this on a desktop is called the
>>> monitor off switch..... ahem.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> bglists@...
>>> Sent via blueyonder.
>>> Please address personal email to:-
>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>>> in the display name field.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Chao"
>>> <kevinchao89@...>
>>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>>> Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:30 PM
>>> Subject: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> VoiceOver has had screen curtain feature for a long while and JAWS
>>>> recently got screen shade.
>>>>
>>>> Does NVDA have a similar feature via an add-on or natively?
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.