Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Lenron

I don't understand, why not have this be a part of NVDA. I could
careless about another screen reader having this feature. I just know
it's useful. Also my battery does last a bit longer when my screen is
at 0 percent. I tend to black my screen because I really don't wish to
always share what I am viewing with others.

On 12/17/17, ely.r@... <ely.r@...> wrote:
Joseph,
I agree. I also use JAWS an monitor the list. There have been many postings
about the Screen Shade not working. This means that lots of developer time
at VFO is being given over to this issue.

Most importantly I want a screen reader to be its best at reading me the
screen. Sometimes it is easy to fall into wishing that our screen reader
could do all the things we know that sighted people are doing with their
computers. OCR can be another of those diverting paths. There are good tools
available for providing Optical Character Recognition, but that feature
doesn't need to be part of a screen reader. With all the issues regarding
browsers, I would rather see development efforts aimed at assuring us
quality access to the internet.
The NVDA project is simply an amazing effort. It is making access to the
screen available to everyone. Yes, we have to purchase high quality
alternative synthesizers if we want or, in my case where hearing is also an
issue, need them. NVDA could include those, but then they would have to pay
for those rights or develop their own. The same would be the case for an OCR
engine.

As to a screen shade, is it possible that there is a free or low cost app
already out there that might serve? This group is amazingly active. Might we
take on researching the screen shade issue to see what we can find that
works and then letting all of us know? Let's join the folks, many of them
volunteers, who are working to create and advance NVDA
Apologies for the rant,
Rick