From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] competition

That is an arbitrary distinction.
Do you want JAWS to drop all nonessential scripts?  I don't think many people would support dropping Winamp support in JAWS.  In NVDA, what difference does it make if this support is achieved by an add-on, a script, or in some other way.  When do you define a script as a core function.  the distinction that no add ons should be shipped and running because they are not core functions is arbitrary.  and, to be consistent, why is the links list a core function?  I consider the links list to be a harmful feature for inexperienced users because it sounds wonderful to an inexperienced user but, if used before a thorough understanding of navigation is achieved, hinders learning by encouraging people to work in a completely artificial environment.  I'm not trying to start an argument about the links list.  I'm pointing out that the core function ideology isn't consistently followed even now, though it mostly is.

its time to seriously consider the question, why must there be a distinction between add ons and the core of NVDA?  Why shouldn't some add ons be a part of NVDA.  Wouldn't developer resources be better spent doing other things than duplicating functions available as add ons so they may be placed in the core?  Just include the add ons as part of the product.