Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Rui Fontes

Just press any key and screen is back on!

Rui

Às 21:33 de 18/12/2017, Gene New Zealand escreveu:

Hi Adriani
I am going to try out the first option under the power management part of windows. It was easier enough to do but will get the wife to look to make sure it is off and does not come back on with the mouse.
I know under the power management part i can set the monitor to turn off after say a minute but as soon as you move the mouse it wakes up.
I think there is another settings where you can specify it to wake it but would have to look around.
so will have to see what this one does and also how to turn it back on.
At present I just hit the power button on the monitor no biggy.
I wonder if you hit it again does it turn it back on?
I did look on my android phone under talk back and it has a screen dim feature so does this mean it only dims the screen say to a very low level? and is that the same for the jaws feature or does it turn off the display fully? if it works.
Gene nz
On 12/19/2017 7:54 AM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Hey,

I must admit that I don't agree with you statement. Audio ducking and speech review, braille display features and so on are being made to to be able to read the screen in a proper way. This means that you get the information which is being displayed on a screen. We cannot let a screen reader to be a privacy tool. In this case, a screen reader could also clean up your registry and delete viruses and what not.

By the way, how about this?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-quickest-ways-turn-computer-screen-windows/

The tools are very reliable.

Best
Adriani

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Bhavya shah
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Dezember 2017 17:40
An:nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Screen Shade/curtain?

Hi all,
Both sides of the house have put up several fresh and compelling points which have been better explicated and backed than our previously undirected discourse. In order to continue this stimulation of conversation until a greater level of consensus and union of opinions is achieved, I would like to take this opportunity to counter a few of the arguments we have witnessed various members of side opposition delivering. Just like my previous input, allow me to offer two more points of rebuttle in order to demonstrate why proposition’s case still completely stands and how opposition’s case is falling:
Purpose of a screen reader – A major area of clash in this debate has been whether or not a feature such as screen dimming falls within the scope of a screen reader. To illustrate why side proposition firmly believes that it does, let us assess the history of mobile phones – originally designed to make phone calling and later text messaging more portable and ubiquitous, but today known for the quality of their cameras, ability to perform resource-intensive tasks, support for high-end gaming and what not. All modern phones conform to the basis standard of having calling and messaging options, but it is precisely the icings on the cake that distinguish one from the other. Let me show you how this analogy is absolutely applicable in the context of screen reading software too. While the strictest definition of a screen reader may simply be to read on-screen contents efficiently (as an opposition speaker has repeatedly asserted), popular screen readers, including NVDA, flaunt features such as audio ducking, mouse tracking, speech viewer, just to name a few, which, according to most interpretations, would probably not adhere to the restrictive and narrow definition provided by side opposition of the goals and contents of a screen reader. However, has that prevented any of these from being widely acclaimed, later borrowed, and frequently used elements of NVDA? In the modern world that we live in, a program or a product is not evaluated on its ability to merely perform its basic functions, but adjudicated on the basis of what else it can do to assist its target audience as a whole, i.e. the cheese may be taken for granted, for the toppings determine and contribute to the overall quality of a software product, particularly as we discuss screen dimming functionality for a screen reader.
Screen dimming alternative options – Members of side proposition have, on numerous occasions and by a host of statements, been advised to seek screen dimming functionality elsewhere, to the point where it has been declared that there are other reliable and universally functional methods of darkening the display. From what I have gathered, the few specific suggestions made are all inadequate in some or the other way; Projector Only or Second Screen Only in the Projector Settings dialog does not work with certain processors and graphic cards, particularly on Windows 10 (due to which I had to downgrade back to Windows 8.1), turning down the brightness in Windows to 0 only grays out the screen so much, still leaving a significant amount of visibility for shouldersurfers, and a few third party tools mentioned require that the computer be actually put on Sleep mode. All in all, no functional option for screen dimming has been presented so far. Having said that, even if such a third party tool is discovered, all our other arguments about including this feature in NVDA core shall remain pertinent and we will continue to advocate for having such capabilities integrated into the NVDA screen reader.
Thanks.

On 12/18/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
The problem is one that can be levelled at other software as well.
Take the Edge Quantum and Windows 10S issues of trying to lock down
systems to stop naughty people hacking them via screenreaders or any other means.
In the real world unfortunately its the human who is the weak link.
You simply need to draw a line in the sand and say equality of access
for blind or anyone else is the guiding factor, not privacy or
security. There is no such thing as total security, as anything that
we can design can be reverse engineered to find its vulnerabilities
and I think we are now close to that very point where, if we are not
careful all our hard fought gains in the access world will be undone
in the push toward the holy Braille of unhackable software and
hardware. Dream on if you believe this is ever going to happen.

Thus some realism needs to happen in the world and an attempt to stop
paranoia which is sadly rife in places of work these days.
It could be argued that the current trend toward small gains in
security at our expense is in fact discrimination against us.

I continue the thought about paranoia to us as well, in that many
many sighted people leave their computers logged in in public spaces,
its just our tendency to suppose that people look over our shoulders
as we cannot know if they are doing so or not of course. it most
certainly has happened at ATM machines before the current crop of ones
that go dark when you plug in a set of phones.

However while wearing your phones, somebody could just sneak up and
grab your cash!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk,

Note to all this threads length is getting longer than the list allows
text

quoting wise, so trimmed some off.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons:https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address:bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 orwww.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.