Re: Screen Shade/curtain?

Bhavya shah

Hi all,
Instead of responding to broad points of contention by side
opposition, at this stage of the debate, I find it more rational to
take specific statements and rebut them one by one. That is precisely
what I shall be doing in this e-mail.

* “Audio ducking and speech review, braille display features and so on
are being made to to be able to read the screen in a proper way. This
means that you get the information which is being displayed on a
screen.”
Audio ducking was the example I had utilized to prove my point of the
futility of the rigid definition of a screen reader that side
opposition was previously emphasizing, so that is the example I will
be happy to defend in particular. How does audio ducking enable you to
read the contents of the screen properly in the strictest sense? Audio
ducking only lowers the volume of other computer audio, something,
that under your model and with your guiding definitions, is principly
owrong and out-of-scope for a screen reader. What side proposition is
simply stating is that audio ducking, despite playing no role in
presenting, organizing or interpreting the screen contents, and thus
failing to meet the standards of opposition’s definition of a screen
reader, is a feature that many screen readers regularly use and love.
This just goes on to validate Gene’s following statement – “I think
that, as a general guiding principle the argument that a screen-reader
should be primarily designed to provide access to content on screen is
a good guide. But it, as any other guiding principle anywhere, if
taken too rigidly, without regard to context and justification to not
always adhere to it, becomes ideology and stifles rational
development.”

* “In this case, a screen reader could also clean up your registry and
delete viruses and what not.”
No, this is a misunderstood and unaccepted extension of proposition’s
principle. This is so because registry cleaning and virus detection
are not features that in any way exclusively beneficial to a screen
reader user, the target audience of a screen reading software, a blind
person.

* “As a previous user stated, it really depends what NVDA's game plan is.”
I personally disagree. The fundamental premise of side proposition’s
case is not to compete with the others or based on the fact that a
competitor has incorporated this functionality, but the strongest
foothold of our case is the utility value of screen dimming itself.
The motion stands irrespective of “NVDA’s game plan”.
Thanks.

On 12/19/17, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't need either. Screen Shade or curtain. I just leave the monitor off.