From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:40 PM
Subject: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: production under way

Dear NVDA community,

A few weeks ago I asked on the NVDA users list if I should record an updated
version of the popular "Welcome to NVDA" tutorial series, and everyone said
"yes". Thus, I'm happy to announce that production of 2018 edition of this
tutorial series is under way. Due to a completely new synthesizer to be
used, coupled with use of Microsoft Edge for various web browsing examples,
I'm recording most sections anew. I'm also redoing most recordings to make
the sound quality consistent throughout the tutorial set, as the 2013 and
2015 editions had varying audio quality.

Changes in the 2018 edition (part 1 is completed and waiting to be assembled
soon):

* Overall: use of Windows oneCore synthesizer. Due to popular request,
each topic will be an mp3 file of its own.
* Introduction (part 1): the new checkbox that offers to start the
portable copy when created is covered, along with restart with debug logging
option. Due to time constraints, new command line options are not covered
(they'll be covered in an addendum).
* Basics (part 2): the newly expanded welcome dialog will be covered.
Apart from that, there's nothing new in 2018 edition.
* Objects (part 3): stays the same except for new speech synthesizer.
* Web browsing (part 4): most examples will use Firefox and Edge, with
one or two requiring use of Internet Explorer. A new section on MathML
reading will be covered.
* Apps (part 5): Some replacements and new apps. In Microsoft Word
section, I'll briefly demonstrate braille input support.
* Configuration (parts 6 and 7): Windows 10 OCR will be mentioned but
will not be covered, and a host of changes will be done thanks to new and
revised options in NVDA.
* Tools (part 8): Windows 10 OCR will be covered last.
* Add-ons (part 9): instead of OCR add-on, Golden Cursor will be
covered. Also, how to disable individual add-ons will be shown.
* Possible addenda: command-line switches, NVDA on Windows 10 on ARM.

For the most part, content should be identical to the 2015 edition. The
current edition of the tutorial set can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph