Is there any way to stop Windows 10 updates from interfering with my settings?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hi everyone.

So I’ve heard all the arguments and I’m not here to bitch about Windows always wanting to update itself. However, I must say I am very annoyed. Sometimes, when Windows updates, changes I have made continually are getting revoked, and reset back to their original values. Examples would be Windows Mobile Device Centre, which at some point between Anniversary and Creators’ update disabled a setting that I need to use my old Windows ME device with the computer (a Braille note, if anyone’s curious). Cortana reactivates itself even though I specifically took action to disable it. More pertinently to this list, a while ago I became very annoyed at the long pauses Microsoft Core voice inserts between sentences and after detecting a comma. I was instructed by a very helpful person on this list to edit an .ini file, which, although it was not quite in the location he specified, did the trick very nicely. Well, here we go again: nVDA, using MS Core voices, is pausing for as much as two seconds between sentences, and I hate it. Of course, I’m going to go back into that .ini file, and change it again. How long before Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decides that no, I really don’t want things set the way I say I want, and undoes what I took time and effort to change? How can I prevent this sort of garbage from happening, or is this just the kind of thing PC users have to live with nowadays?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JM