Re: I hear the word payne

Gary Metzler

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the instructions.  It worked like a champ.

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I hear the word payne

First, when you use the dictionary, if you have any doubt, always check the spelling.  The spelling is p a n e, no letter y.

Open the dictionary in the following manner:
Open the NVDA menu, NVDA key n.
Down arrow to preferences and press enter.
You are now in a submenu.
Up arrow to speech dictionaries and press enter.
You will be on default dictionary.  Press enter again.
Tab once to the add button.
Press the space bar on the button.
You are now in an edit field where you type the word.
Than tab once to the pronounced as field and press space once.  Putting a space in the pronounced as field makes NVDA not say anything when the word is encountered.
Then tab many times to the ok button and activate it.
There is another ok button.  Tab to it and activate it.
Now you should no longer hear pane.
You don't come across the word often but remember that if you do, you won't hear it so you'll have to either check the word by looking at the spelling if you come across it, or just mentally insert the word if it is the correct word by context.