Re: I'm dissappointed

Adriani Botez

Microsoft has its most projects on github meanwhile. As you see, open source is becomming more and more important. Internet of things means cross platform communication. This will be the feature. It cannot be achieved by closed source project. I would never never never consider to close NVDA. Before that happens, many people would forg a copy and would continue to develop it open source...

I really start to ask myself, do people not see the advantages of such a community? Or do they missunderstand the comming trends?

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 24.12.2017 um 05:42 schrieb Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com>:

Hmmm my opinion is that we should continue as we are but as we get used more and more especial in businesses, we may have to get some more help.

What that means is unknown.

At any rate its been made possible to stop any company, ie vfo or ms to take control of us say you must buy jaws and close us down.

However if we are going to become a major thing we should start working with mainstream companies more and more.

That may mean allowing some of our opensource bits to go away at least for business use.

That could I guess develop into a payed for business version where we would have to get a part share in sales.

Even if we do go closed source and get a business version even if we let vfo handle some of that.

We could do it in a way where there is still an opensource version which we control and which could go to developing countries and home users.

Ofcause if there was a pro version then I'd buy it, we would need some way to regulate the price if we ever did.

One thing we would have to do is have some sort of rule that states that anyone using our code would have to be complient with standards.

If someone included an intercepter but then made it so our stuff would only run with an installed driver then it would defeat the purpose.

On 24/12/2017 9:09 a.m., Carlos wrote:
Hello All:

This discussion is going in the direction of at some point NV Access handing control of NVDA to Microsoft.

There are many issues that go into maintaining a software project. Keeping the software up to date, being able to offer some sort of technical support mechanism for users, having a wide variety of code contributions to draw from, and of course community participation!

That's why so many open source project fail in their first two years! So, the time has come for NV Access to decide if they will continue going at it alone? Or, if for the good of the project turn it over to an organization that has all the bases covered!

Unfortunatly! A community based project can only go so far as its ability to provide all the elements needed to keep the project active and vibrant!

Good exmaples of this are projects like LibreOffice and The Apache Foundation.

So! The NVDA developers and the community as a whole really do need to think about the direction of the project. And, if they are going to be able to keep it growing in its current state?

Have a very happy and thoughtful 2018!

I second that.