From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:03:36 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] important! Windows 10 doesn't allow fat 32 formatting for flash drives for the moment

Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> You know I really think talking book players should either support
> formatting their drives or actually supporting ntfs or reformatting to
> their own format and have software able to do it.

NTFS is harder on flash memory than fat 32. That's why you almost never get flash drives in NTFS, unless they are really large ones like 128 gb and up.
The reason NTFS is harder on flash drives is because these things only have a limited number of writes. NTFS is a journalling file system, meaning it writes to the media more often than would happen as fat 32.
In addition, NTFS supports permissions, which is often not applicable for flash drives. File permissions could actually create problems on those when you transfer them between computers.
The only time you might want to consider formatting a flash drive as NTFS is if you are going to copy a file more than 4gb in size to the drive.