Re: Change.org Petition: Make Movies Accessible to the Blind

ely.r@...

Sean and all,
First, let me say that I am relatively new to the list, and not sure just where in the world posters may live. So, want to be sure there is the disclaimer that what is here applies to the U.S.

The most valuable resource I know is the Audio Description Project ADP created and run by the American Counsel of the Blind. It is a wonderful resource about Audio description, AD, in general. More importantly, it offers an extensive list of movies that have been described on both DVD and Blu Ray going back years. Each film entry includes a link that takes one to that movie on Amazon in the States that has AD. ADP maintains a list of films in the theaters that have description as well. Most if not all of those, when released to disk will include the AD track. The ADP site is at:
http://www.acb.org/adp/dvdsalpha.html
The listings at the site refer only to theater and disk releases in the States. The site does include links to other resources. It also lists programing on Netflix, and other paid online sources such as Apple and Amazon movies, and does it best to track what is in AD on the major networks. ADP as an active but not overwhelming user group.

Of course, the next issue that does not have the single solution that it needs, and that is how in the H to get to the AD track on a DVD.

On my PC, Windows 10 and the most up to date versions of JAWS and NVDA, I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema. The app is screen reader accessible and still uses the traditional menu bar for making selection and navigation. AD, if it exists on a disk, is in the “Play” menu under “Audio Track.” Other languages are often highest on that list, most of the conventional play features can be accessed through keyboard command. The cost for all of these features and many more is, sit down, FREE!
Information and downloads are at:
https://mpc-hc.org/
The app will not play Blu Ray disks even if you have a Blu Ray drive installed. Family was good enough to gift me an Xbox 1 to use as a Blu Ray player. It, of course, is based on Windows and has both “Narrator” and Magnifier as part of it operating system. Once turned on, the Xbox will let you navigate the disk features in much the same way as MPCHC.

Years ago, I worked at the national Center for Accessible Media at WGBH a public Television station in Boston Massachusetts. NCAM pioneered both closed captioning and Audio Description and was and still is a provider of AD for film and television. As an example of best practice accessibility
, NCAM produced A version of “Abraham and Mary Lincoln: A House Divided.” When the disk started, an audio announcement asked if you wanted the program with AD or not. Don’t recall what button on the DVD player one pressed, but you didn’t need to see the screen to make the selection. This feature has never been adopted, but it could be on all DVD and Blu Ray disks.
Hope this information if of some help.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Change.org Petition: Make Movies Accessible to the Blind

You know thats been a pet peeve of mine.

I have dvd audio extracter to basically get at my dvds.

And thats the polite way to post here.

Because of copywrite its not always possible to do this.

I can use windows media player to handle dvds but I can't seem to watch things more than once so usually after they have been watched with little control I end up putting them away.

Now it would be nice if there was a way for the blind to either download at cost using a subscription say 5-10 a month all the videos they want from a ftp and even stream audio described content.

All the companies are quite happy to go after all the pirates and crackers, but seriously, I need to crack my own dvds to get what was legally licenced to me to play.

Granted I do do that to dvds friends have, and videos from the video store and yes, I guess in that form I could easily put them up on a website and you the producer would loose control at the point.

But right now, if I get a dvd, firstly I need to see if its described, then I need to see if it will be able to be piratable so I can crack it and get the mp3 off of it and normalise that.

Even if I do that if its something like mgm or paramount its either so encripted I have to spend 2-3 days using other extracters and cracking tools on hard drives over night which then really means its not worth it to have all the audio in bits and stuff so I can't play it in order which I could do but its not worth that.

Its good that a lot of companies do not use such protection so I can crack to my hearts content, but with all the talk about piracy, the industry is not helping itself.

How much would it cost them to put a seperate disk with audio files on it, or for those things I have brought a code to redeem my things.

Or even a way for the blind to buy audio described movies, or subscribe to them.

After all the sighted can use netflicks, some of it I can aparently but its the principal here.

Sadly thats never going to happen, I will always crack all my dvds and no one will care for now at least.

I really do wish that the next laws past are that all dvds must be accessible to the blind or the material needs to be previded off on another disk, naturally I am happy to pay, no not 220-50 bucks for extra content but something I can afford.

Thats my rant for the day.

Its a pipedream nothing more.

On 24/12/2017 10:05 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
One of thee big problems for those who watch DVDs on their computers
is that the menu for finding the AD version is often unreadable for
us. BBC did make a self voicing menu, but it seems not to have been
taken up universally.
Now I am not saying this would work but in windows 10 assuming text is
on screen in these menus could the ocr and nvda be used in such a way
as to find these options?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Noah Carver via Groups.Io"
<ntclists=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Change.org Petition: Make Movies Accessible to the
Blind

This is about DVS, mostly in movie theaters.

On 12/23/2017 22:29, Lino Morales wrote:
Noah. Movies for the most part are already accessible. Its called
DVS. That's all I'll say.

On 12/23/2017 10:26 PM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi All,

This email might be off topic to this list, so if someone could
give me some guidance it would be appreciated.

I have been doing some advocacy work for descriptive audio, and
have written a Change.org petition. Have a look and see if you
might sign and share with others.

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-make-movies-access
ible-to-the-blind?recruiter=844835478&utm_source=share_petition&utm
_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petitio
n

Yours,

Noah Carver

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.