From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 6:01 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Change.org Petition: Make Movies Accessible to the Blind

You know thats been a pet peeve of mine.

I have dvd audio extracter to basically get at my dvds.

And thats the polite way to post here.

Because of copywrite its not always possible to do this.

I can use windows media player to handle dvds but I can't seem to watch things more than once so usually after they have been watched with little control I end up putting them away.

Now it would be nice if there was a way for the blind to either download at cost using a subscription say 5-10 a month all the videos they want from a ftp and even stream audio described content.

All the companies are quite happy to go after all the pirates and crackers, but seriously, I need to crack my own dvds to get what was legally licenced to me to play.

Granted I do do that to dvds friends have, and videos from the video store and yes, I guess in that form I could easily put them up on a website and you the producer would loose control at the point.

But right now, if I get a dvd, firstly I need to see if its described, then I need to see if it will be able to be piratable so I can crack it and get the mp3 off of it and normalise that.

Even if I do that if its something like mgm or paramount its either so encripted I have to spend 2-3 days using other extracters and cracking tools on hard drives over night which then really means its not worth it to have all the audio in bits and stuff so I can't play it in order which I could do but its not worth that.

Its good that a lot of companies do not use such protection so I can crack to my hearts content, but with all the talk about piracy, the industry is not helping itself.

How much would it cost them to put a seperate disk with audio files on it, or for those things I have brought a code to redeem my things.

Or even a way for the blind to buy audio described movies, or subscribe to them.

After all the sighted can use netflicks, some of it I can aparently but its the principal here.

Sadly thats never going to happen, I will always crack all my dvds and no one will care for now at least.

I really do wish that the next laws past are that all dvds must be accessible to the blind or the material needs to be previded off on another disk, naturally I am happy to pay, no not 220-50 bucks for extra content but something I can afford.

Thats my rant for the day.

Its a pipedream nothing more.

On 24/12/2017 10:05 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
One of thee big problems for those who watch DVDs on their computers
is that the menu for finding the AD version is often unreadable for
us. BBC did make a self voicing menu, but it seems not to have been
taken up universally.
Now I am not saying this would work but in windows 10 assuming text is
on screen in these menus could the ocr and nvda be used in such a way
as to find these options?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.