From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Jason White via Groups.Io <jason@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:40:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I'm dissappointed

I would argue that providing technical support is an under-valued profession. I've encountered technical support staff who clearly don't know enough to solve my problem, and if they did know, unfortunately they would be in a "better" (more prestigious, more highly paid, etc.) job elsewhere.

In the commercial hardware and software world, the usual solution is to have multiple layers of technical support, so that the easy cases can be dealt with at the lower levels and the harder cases escalated upward. In my experience, this often doesn't work well if you have one of the harder cases. I don't know whether anyone has developed a model that works effectively and which can scale.

Community support (as with free and open-source software projects) can be very effective in practice, as this and similar mailing lists have shown over the years. The more that the user knows, of course, the more benefits tend to be gained.