Re: Another Wording Question


I don't think there is exact wording that you need to worry about.  What you wrote is very understandable and whether the item would say close this window or just close, I think your explanation makes any reasonable working of the actual control fine.  for consistency, you might want to have the control say close this window since that's what you write in the description but as far as a prescribed wording, I doubt there is any.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] Another Wording Question

I am creating a text version of a help page. I need to describe in text a common pop-up window that the windows operating system displays. It would be shown as a picture to sighted users. To describe it, I have written:


When the file is made, you will be asked whether to open it or save it. A pop-up window will appear to ask "Do you want to open or save filename from" followed by the buttons Open, Save, Cancel, and Close this Window.


As a sighted user, I see an X on the pop-up window and know that it means “Close this Window”. But, how does it read to you? Is it called “Close this Window” or what is it called by the screen reader?


Likewise, the Save button is really a drop-down menu that is defaulted to Save. How does it call out the menu to you? I want to use the right words in my description.


Thanks and sorry for the bother,



Join to automatically receive all group messages.