Re: Another Wording Question

Antony Stone

I just went to https://www.sendspace.com/ and looked at the HTML source for
the page.

Assuming you meant that Chrome reads the button as "Upload file", I think I can
see the reason why - the HTML source for this button contains the actual text
(shown on the screen) as "Browse" but the HTML "input" tag contains the ID
string "upload_file":

<a class="button">
<input type="file" id="upload_file" name="upload_file[]" class="file" size="1"
multiple />
<button class="sbtn" onclick="$('#upload_file').trigger('click');return
false">Browse</button>
</a>

I suspect this is why different browsers and/or screenreader combinations can
give different results - they're paying attention to different parts of the
underlying HTML.

Antony.

On Friday 29 December 2017 at 19:36:39, Gene wrote:

Joseph lee's message raises a question I've wondered about a bit now and
then. If it can gbe described to the layman without unreasonable effort,
I've wondered why a screen-reader might read a control one way and another
screen-reader read it with different wording. Until perhaps a year ago, I
had assumed that controls all had readable text and that screen-readers
would read them all the same, but an earlier comment from Joseph and a
variation I observed on a button caused me to realize that screen-readers
don't necessarily speak the same things. So how do screen-readers know
how to read controls and why are there differences?

For example, on the Send Space home page, the button that opens the select
file to upload dialog is read as "browse". Chrome reads it as something
like "choose file". So evidently, this button is not labeled with text
but is recognized as a category or function control. I'm not sure if I'm
expressing it as clearly as I might but I think it's understandable.

In the specific help page being asked about, can these controls be labeled
with text or alt text so they will all be read the same regardless of
screen-reader?