1. Install the "Focus Highlight" plugin -- it makes it *far* easier to visually see what NVDA is describing at any given point in time; and
2. Enable the "Speech Viewer" feature (under Tools in the NVDA menu) -- it shows everything going to the speech synthesizer, but it just appears in a scrolling window -- quite useful!

Marshall

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi Tonea,

What you wrote will work for most cases. However, because different apps have different ways of doing things with controls, a button may not fully convey what the user is supposed to do. In case of the save button, I cannot tell you how NVDA will say things unless you let a screen reader user take a look at it, and even then, different screen readers will say different things. This kind of thing is where practice is really needed, not just theories and guesswork, and for this reason, I’d like to once again strongly suggest that your employer let you test NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of tonea.ctr.morrow@...
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 8:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Another Wording Question

I am creating a text version of a help page. I need to describe in text a common pop-up window that the windows operating system displays. It would be shown as a picture to sighted users. To describe it, I have written:

When the file is made, you will be asked whether to open it or save it. A pop-up window will appear to ask "Do you want to open or save filename from blah.faa.gov?" followed by the buttons Open, Save, Cancel, and Close this Window.

As a sighted user, I see an X on the pop-up window and know that it means “Close this Window”. But, how does it read to you? Is it called “Close this Window” or what is it called by the screen reader?

Likewise, the Save button is really a drop-down menu that is defaulted to Save. How does it call out the menu to you? I want to use the right words in my description.

Thanks and sorry for the bother,

Tonea