Re: Another Wording Question

Gene

I just checked and Chrome reads the button with the phrase "choose files".  Your explanation makes more sense than my guess and its simpler.  I had wondered if there were certain generic buttons that meant certain things and that screen-readers might express the meanings differently.  But, as I said, your explanation makes more sense.

Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Another Wording Question

I just went to https://www.sendspace.com/ and looked at the HTML source for
the page.

Assuming you meant that Chrome reads the button as "Upload file", I think I can
see the reason why - the HTML source for this button contains the actual text
(shown on the screen) as "Browse" but the HTML "input" tag contains the ID
string "upload_file":

<a class="button">
<input type="file" id="upload_file" name="upload_file[]" class="file" size="1"
multiple />
<button class="sbtn" onclick="$('#upload_file').trigger('click');return
false">Browse</button>
</a>

I suspect this is why different browsers and/or screenreader combinations can
give different results - they're paying attention to different parts of the
underlying HTML.

Antony.

--
Bill Gates has personally assured the Spanish Academy that he will never allow
the upside-down question mark to disappear from Microsoft word-processing

 - Lynne Truss, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.