Re: help wanted in porting espeak fixes over to windows

John Isige

You shouldn't actually need any help, except figuring out where NVDA
places dictionary files. Install this on Windows, assuming you're using
Windows 10 of course.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

You should, after installing any utilities you need, be able to use your
bash scripts at that point. Alternatively, if you're not on 10, consider
Cygwin. The real question though is, why do you need to do this on
Windows? eSpeak is cross-platform, no? Shouldn't you just be able to
produce compiled dictionaries on linux, and dump them in the appropriate
place in whatever eSpeak installation is running on an OS?

On 12/30/2017 22:18, coffeekingms@... wrote:

Hi all

I maintain a repository of espeak fixes. That is, pronunciation fixes
for the US English language for words and names espeak ng mangles, for
Linux based operating systems, located at
http//GitHub.com/coffeeking/espeak-en-us. I’ve been wanting to for
some time port these over to windows and NVDA, as well as making them
available to anyone using the sapi5 version of espeak ng. I don’t have
the coding skills to do this though and need help. I’ve tried to get
help on the espeak ng mailing list and no one seems interested. The
biggest issue is writing a script to compile the fixes into espeak ng.
I don’t know enough coding to do this. The other big problem is that
to be able to compile the fixes, which are just text tfiles into the
binary dictionary format espeak ng needs, you have to have installed
espeak ng into whatever OS you use, I don’t think you can do it with
just NVDA’s built in copy. I’d love to be able to get rid of this step
if at all possible, since it would drastically increase the ease of
new users being able to use and contribute to my fixes. My goal is to
eventually become part of espeak ng’s development itself by helping
reece dunn with US English, although I haven’t managed it yet. My
fixes are occasionally added to espeak ng itself, but only when reece
has time to comb through them and fix any I get wrong. Is anyone
interested in helping me make it possible to use these with NVDA? I
don’t know where NVDA looks for espeak ng’s dictionary files, so in
addition to being able to compile the files, you have to copy them to
wherever it is NVDA looks for them so it can pick up on them. I’m not
sure about the sapi 5 version of espeak ng, but I’d like to make it
possible for people to use my fixes regardless how they use espeak ng
or what they use it on, right now it’s limited strictly to Linux or
unix OSes since I had help with the bash script which compiles and
copies them.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

Sent from my Vizio Ultrabook