From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley23@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] help wanted in porting espeak fixes over to windows

Espeak is rubbish.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

To be honest, and I know all the devs will shoot me down for this, but I
have sceen no real reason that we shouldn't drop back to the last real
version of espeak by default, have espeak ng as an optional or include
both synths they have seperate directorys for data and so I see no real
reason we can't have both installed, true espeak ng's espeak.dll will
have to be espeakng.dll or something but to be honest.

The espeak ng screwups don't worry me that much but I do know for bidden
is not fir bidden.

pir cent is not purcent.

or whatever it is.

Its almost like spaces in some words are being added when they were
coded in.

At any rate, mr espeak robot is not to be understood.

Its a crappy low powered synth used for admin work and other generalness.

If I wanted my voices understood I'd use my slow good quality but
resource hungry synth I have about.

Its not a big issue but the fact the list is growing.

They have fixed most of the accent issues but even so.

I really do hope that things continue to work.

On 31/12/2017 8:51 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I had always understood that the engine in nvda is updated regularly to take account of fixes, but recently there seem to have been a number of nasty bugs and silly mispronunciations added during code clean up. I'm speaking about UK English here and so have gone back to Speech Player in Espeak add on to get to an older version of Espeak which does not have these issues.
In my view there seems to be a focus in the team to attempt to make the code understandable, by moving stuff about. I guess this makes sense if they want to understand it, but its not really doing anything to fix crashes inimogees, bad pronunciations or other strange funnies, in fact its already broken language dictionaries and some other bits on the latest nvda meaning that Nvda team had to make work around to help them use the latest code.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-