Re: I'm dissappointed

mk360

Hi!

El 01/01/2018 a las 12:42, erik burggraaf escribió:

Hi Sandra,

On December 31, 2017 8:33:02 AM "Sandra Pilz" <sandra914481@...> wrote:

(...)

"Also, for me the question is not only can I do something with a screen
reader, but also how quickly can I do what I need to do. One example for
me is the text analysing feature of JAWS in MS Word. I think it helps a
lot when writing a document and checking the formatting. I can do this
with NVDA, too, but it takes a lot longer. The JAWS text analyser or
whatever they call it just checks the document for me and allows me to
see where unexpected formatting or characters have been found. I then
can check whether they are intended or not and make corrections. And it
is so much quicker to do it that way than to read the entire document
with NVDA reporting all attributes selectable in the document dialogue
of NVDA. And additionally, the latter method is so monotonous that there
is the risk of not catching all of the formatting problems."

I have to agree with you here.  I am starting in on a computer programming diploma, and having to build visually appealing user interfaces.  It would be fantastic to have an add-on that would do some intense format, layout, style, information presented in a way that I could quickly make sure certin things look proper  Maybe I'll take this on as we're coming into python in winter semester.  To me, this is a perfect example of the kind of thing a screen reader should do.

I agree. In my case, I work as a lawyer in a goverment institution, where I usually read and write contracts or other kind of legal documents for the institution and formating is important to enfasice parts of the documents or sometimes to track changes with other parts. Also in my magister I need many formating commands, and I created a profile on NVDA to enable all formating atributes to be spoken, but it is slow, in large documents is desperating and sometimes I start to sleep and I don't notice sime important changes. However, It is a thing that can be solved with coding, a good add-on can do it, and I think we have some people that can code it.

"What would be the legal status for NVDA extensions written by a third
party to make a specific program more accessible? If the would they be
allowed to sell them? probably not, because NVDA is free. What would be
the incentive for them to develop these extensions for rarely used
software if they can only bill the hours once?"

I am not a lawyer and I haven'tttt read the developer documentation, but I don't see why enterprise developers couldn't charge for add-ons.  In fact, now that I think of it, many of the voice synthesizer add-ons are paid products.
add-ons are not part of the NVDA code, and therefore do not have to be free of charge, as the NVDA license (GPL V 2) covers the program and its code. Remember a free software premise: It is free as a freedom of speech, but not necesarily as free beer. In fact, you can create an Add-on with a propietary license, but simplyfing you need to follow GPL if you use parts of the NVDA code or other GPL programs.

Regards, and happy new year,
mk.