Re: I'm dissappointed

Sandra Pilz

Hi Erik,

Am 01.01.2018 um 16:42 schrieb erik burggraaf:

On December 31, 2017 8:33:02 AM "Sandra Pilz" <sandra914481@gmail.com> wrote:

"For the new job I started this year, I can only use NVDA, because JAWS
will crash when I log into the web interface I am required to use."

I had this same experience when applying to a call centre job last year.  Hopefully your employer puts something into nvda on your behalf, since it seems to be useful in these situations.  It shouldn't matter which screen reader you use to access web databases, but I and others have experienced that nvda as a baseline works while jaws does not.

They don't care which screen reader I use as long as I can get the job done. Actually, the site uses Adobe Flash, and I have to use old versions of Firefox, because it's not  accessible in current versions of Firefox or Chrome. As far as I know, it didn't work in older versions of Chrome either.

"However, I agree with Gene. JAWS is more easily configurable by the
user. You can label graphics, you can assign window classes and see if
that makes a program work more smoothly with NVDA, you can assign
application specific hotkeys. I am not so sure if the JAWS frames
feature still works so well under Windows 10. I just tried it recently
without success.
"

This is one area where I disagree.  Not that jaws has the features or that they are useful, but that they belong in NVDA.  I believe that it is the responsibility of developers to label their graphics and controls, draw and class their windows and controls properly, and build keyboard/touchscreen support for their apps properly.  This is increasingly required by law, imposed by societal change, taught as programming best practice, and demonstrably beneficial beyond the needs of disability communities. Unfortunately, it's not all there yet, but within the next three years, it will become legally and socially inacceptable to build software without regard for accessibility standards, just as you wouldn't build out with no regard for UI, performance, security, and other common standards and best practices.  I believe the development philosophy of NVDA is based on this.  A screen reader should read the screen, conveying the information already provided in accessible format, doing as little interpretation as possible.
I know this has often been said to be the NVDA philosophy, and I consider it dogmatic. I am more interested in pragmatic solutions. If I need to get something done, especially if it's for work, I think it is more important that I can make some changes such as labelling graphics myself or defining frames to speak a part of the screen. What's more, the legal situation may be as you describe in the US, but this kind of legislation doesn't exist yet and will not exist within three years in all of the countries where NVDA is used. And I guess some of these countries are developing countries where NVDA is most widely used, and it is probably harder there for people to get JAWS.

Best

Sandra