From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: seeking recommendations for one or two professional grade apps to showcase

Hi all,

An update on Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set: part 4 (web browsing) is about to be published (more on that on a separate thread).

As part of the tutorial series, I have a section reserved for showcasing popular applications with NVDA (part 5). At the moment they include:

  • Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
  • Universal apps: Microsoft Store, Calculator, Mail, Skype, Windows Defender
  • Command line tools
  • Notepad++
  • Kindle for PC
  • GoldWave
  • StationPlaylist Studio
  • Possibly Microsoft Visual Studio and/or Eclipse
  • Possibly VLC

I’d like to feature one or two professional grade apps in the tutorial set. Professional grade apps include not the kind of apps listed above, but rather apps used in corporate environments, schools, other organizational, and professional settings. Examples may include Quicken, Microsoft Access and other software in the similar league.

Also, in case people want me to do it, I’d like to try what people consider the most difficult kinds of programs you can give me. These may include programs with no control labels at all, pure graphics and what not (and no, not games). I would like to showcase one or two of these to highlight issues users will face when working with these kinds of applications and provide suggestions to developers in the tutorial, and in case of graphics, a chance to let you see the power of OCR (if it works).

For all the apps listed above (including apps I’m requesting), I’ll showcase various techniques you can use to interact with these apps (all in part 5). These will include classic keyboard navigation commands (for majority of cases), as well as object navigation (certain parts of PowerPoint and universal apps), touchscreen and mouse manipulation (for one or two apps including Microsoft Store), review modes and review cursor (command line tools and Notepad++), OCR (for ones filled with graphics with recognizable text), browse mode (Kindle for PC and protected Microsoft Excel workbooks), elements list (Microsoft Office applications) and giving feedback to developers. Some apps will require add-ons, and some cannot be demonstrated due to time constraints or to highlight usage tips or to explain a point or two.

If you have suggestions, please send them to me (preferably offlist) by no later than January 4, 2018.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph