From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Will this patch to windows for Intel chips impact speed for nvda?

A large number of security flaws (in both software and hardware) do not get
discovered for a long time after they crept into the design.

I think "if the security hole has been in the chips for a decade, I'm not so
sure its that much of an issue" is a dangerous assumption, and not borne out
by Microsoft's sudden activity to patch Windows in such a way that it will
have a definite performance penalty. If the 10-year old security flaw were not
much of a problem, Microsoft wouldn't react in a way that unavoidably impacts
the majority of Windows users.

Antony.

On Wednesday 03 January 2018 at 10:52:15, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

I hope that link works, but its easy to find on that site in any case. I'm
not saying this sounds like paranoia, as I do not know enough to make such
a comment, but if the security hole has been in the chips for a decade,
I'm not so sure its that much of an issue. at any rate I guess all those
out there with AMD chips will be chortling loudly.
If its a fault in the chip this seems that it could leave Intel open to
action to give everyone new chips!
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard. Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.