Re: Will this patch to windows for Intel chips impact speed for nvda?

Alex Kenny

While this has existed for the past decade, it has only been discovered recently. We have been "living with it", because, as far as we know no one had discover and exploit it. These patches, while slowing performance slightly and only in some use cases, will fix the problem.

Also, jumping immediately to some conspiracy by Microsoft doesn't make sense. First, as Anthony previously stated, Linux is being patched. Mac OS will also be updated.

Second, this issue affects the kernel, which has nothing to do with whether traditional Win32 or Windows Store apps are running on top of it. Deliberately slowing the kernel to induce people to use Windows Store apps is completely nonsensical.

This patch should only significantly affect use cases doing a lot of work in kernel space. NVDA will likely not be affected by this.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:00 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
It just seems odd that we have if you believe all this lived with this for a
decade and I'd have thought there was now a bit of the shutting the stable
door when all the horses have gone about trying to retro patch it I
understand the biggest losers could be the big server companies who might be
using Intel chipped hardware, and hence need things sorting out.
 So Maybe I should get my claim for a new processor in tomorrow to be in
time....:-)

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.