From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin
Huber
Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I'm dissappointed

Hi Kendell:
I had this happen to me a few months ago. the voice told me that if I wanted
to stop that message from repeating over and over again, I had to call the
number on my screen. Since I could not shut down properly, I did a forced
shutdown. I was scared that somehow, my computer had been hacked, but I was
assured, by a friend of mine, who is a retired IT person, that if I didn't
call the number, nothing could happen. But, wouldn't you know it, only a
couple of weeks later, a friend of mine had her computer hacked because she
called the number. She couldn't believe she'd been scammed since the
message on her screen said that it was from Microsoft, but I told her that
some of those crooks use the name of Microsoft to fool their victums into
thinking they are legitimate.

Kevin Huber

On 12/28/17, coffeekingms@hotmail.com <coffeekingms@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I don’t know a lot about NVDA remote but in my experience, you have to
deliberately connect to a server, unless of course you select the
default which is to forward things through nvdaremove.com, which I would
not advise.
Not because t spivey and his other developer are not trustworthy but
because it’s an easy target for people who might try to crack the site
or get into remote sessions. Always set up a dedicated pc or at least
a pc that someone you know and trust owns that you can use for stuff
like that. I think it ultimately depends like someone else said the
quality of the person on the other end. I have had people from other
countries try to tell me my computer has reported to them, them being
a fake Microsoft, that it is sick with a virus and for just $99.99
they can cure it. Clear scam but it can work on people. I’ve seen it
work. I don’t know if these will work anymore with the advent of
windows defender being built in, it might if the person on the other
end says the virus has disabled it. They’ve gotten quite clever. I ran
across a bot that used windows own built in voice to give the standard
you may have a virus prompt. That could lure people into thinking it
is legitimate. I didn’t fall for it because I don’t use narrator’s
default voice and speech settings, but someone who uses the defaults could
fall for it. This in windows 10, it used ms david for the prompt.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

Sent from my Vizio Ultrabook