Re: Welcome to NVDA 2018: get ready to browse the web

David Moore

Hi Joseph!

I have listened to all of your tutorials for NVDA 2018 sets you have done so far.

They are so clear to understand. Your voice and the Voice of NVDA comes through so very loud and clear.

You explain the concepts slower, so that beginners will understand what you are saying.

All of this, is so much better than the 2015 series. You talked and did tasks so much faster in 2015. In this 2018 tutorial, you take the time to really explain what is going on, and I believe the very beginner can learn a lot from these new tutorials.

You explained NVDA and the web so well this time around. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking all of the time to do these tutorials.

I know that many will learn how to use NVDA from these tutorials.

I will recommend them to many people who want to learn NVDA on Facebook Groups that I am on.

Thanks, Joseph, and I really appreciate what you are doing.

I can’t wait until the entire set of tutorials are finished. I will download them, and put them in a Drop Box account, so I can share them with many people.

Take care, and I wish you the very best!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 3:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: get ready to browse the web

Hello Joseph.

great work!
 Thank you good friend.
long life to Joseph Lee.
Cheers.

Às 17:19 de 02/01/2018, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Ladies and gentlemen,

The next part in Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorials set is now up on www.josephsl.net. This part concerns basic web browsing concepts and commands and completes the basics set in this series (and the first half of this set).

Changes from 2015:

·         Completely redone with new examples and with use of Windows OneCore voices.

·         Microsoft Edge (Windows 10 Version 1709) and Mozilla Firefox (version 58 beta) were used (see below for explanations). For the most part, Edge is used, but for some things, Firefox is better.

·         Added a dedicated section on screen layout.

·         Added an actual example of partially turning off browse mode (single letter navigation on/off) in web applications, specifically for embedded video player on YouTube website.

·         Changes to first letter navigation sections, including reduced coverage for embedded objects (it was a dedicated section in 2015, but now one of the elements in 2018), long descriptions now part of graphics, and a comment on ability to move to read-only edit fields. Differences between web browsers and support for elements is also highlighted.

·         Added coverage for the following elements and first letter commands: annotations (A), spelling errors (W). They won’t work on web browsers but will work while browse mode is engaged in Microsoft Word.

·         Added a dedicated section on refreshing web content.

·         Elements list has been expanded to cover new elements not only for web browsing (including the new form fields and buttons options), but also for Microsoft Word (comments and spelling errors) and Microsoft Excel (charts, formulas, cell comments and sheets). Element activation and movement examples are based on form fields.

·         Examples of live regions are showcased.

·         Added a segment on interacting with online math content (requires properly formatted MathML content and installation of MathPlayer from Design Science).

Again each topic is its own mp3 file. Combined, they run for over two hours, with the tour of first letter navigation commands taking 65 minutes to traverse (spread over two segments). Because of the length of this part, I didn’t have time to demonstrate reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge nor dealing with a more realistic web application (I wanted to use Google Docs for this but it didn’t work out in the end due to time and complexity involved).

A bit of explanation as to why I used two web browsers: I did it for three important reasons:

1.       To highlight latest developments in web browsing and how far browsers have come.

2.       To demonstrate the fact that different web browsers display the same website differently.

3.       To showcase what works and doesn’t work for each browser, mostly to highlight strengths and current limitations with Microsoft Edge.

Enjoy the tutorials. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.