Re: Nvda sleep. Mode

Quentin Christensen

The other thing I was going to add to the thread through, was the difference between sleep mode and speech mode.

Sleep mode is toggled with either NVDA+shift+s or NVDA+shift+z as discussed already.  It stops anything from being passed to NVDA while in the current application.  If you alt+tab to something else, it will automatically start reading it (unless the other application is another window from this application).  It stays like that until you either press the keystroke again, or exit the application.

Speech mode doesn't change what happens, but rather whether you hear it or not.  If you turn speech mode to "off" and then press NVDA+f12, it will still report the time, it's just that you won't hear it - it will be in the speech viewer if you have that running, and it will display it on a connected Braille display.

If you are in speech mode: off, it's like you turned your speakers off but NVDA is still working and responding to input and commands.  If you are in sleep mode, it's like NVDA isn't running at all.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
I was going to check whether you were using INSERT or CAPS LOCK as your NVDA modifier key - if you can get in and out of input help mode etc, then I assume you know what your NVDA key is though so that's probably not it.  I've seen keyboards which didn't work with four key keystrokes, but there are enough three key keystrokes even in the sighted world that I would be (ok only a little) surprised if there were many keyboards which couldn't handle three key keystrokes.

Could it be something with needing the Fn key maybe for your NVDA modifier key perhaps, in which case it could potentially be the four key limitation.

Otherwise, the other thing that crops up from time to time is that Windows thinks you have a modifier key held down even when you don't.  In that case it usually manifests it in other ways (as if every single key you press also had CONTROL held down for instance) and the usual fix I use is to mash the modifier keys a few times to "unstick" it.

After that, I'm running out of ideas.

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 4:40 AM, Dr. arvind singh brar <arvindsinghbrar@...> wrote:
Yes it's a 100% laptop keyboard layout

This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Homepage;

On 24 Dec 2017, at 00.26, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

You definitely have your keyboard layout set to “laptop”?

Cheers

Chris