Re: Microsoft Word 2016 spell checker and NVDA reading.

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

For some reason my feed does not always give things in sequential order. And, yesterday was a government holiday so I’m playing catch-up by reading from newest to oldest. My appologies in advance if this issue has been dealt with.

I have Office 2016 on Windows 7, but not NVDA yet, so I can’t check this for you. (As said in other threads, gaining NVDA is progressing.) Anyway, I just wanted to make some suggestions on solving this bug based on my experiences with Word files (since the 1980’s) and subtle ways they can go bad. These are old ideas, and they seem stupid, but I find they still work.

1)      Make sure the problem occurs in multiple files. Any single file can go corrupt and create weird problems.

2)      Create a file from a blank page, not a template or older document. Write (not copy) about three dummy sentences into it.

a.       Sample: This is a test of MS Word 2016. It is a stupid test, but necessary. I like lollipops.

b.       Then try to recreate the problem. If it doesn’t happen, the issue may be somewhere in the templates you are using or in the files you are using. For example, Word may be converting older version documents and having issues, or your favorite template got corrupted and needs to be reloaded. You would then approach debugging differently.

3)      Clarify which operating system you are running, just as Quinton did, because he can’t reproduce if he’s running a different one.

Sometimes, corrupted Primary software, like Word, can create weird problems in secondary software, like NVDA. I see this happen with other software. Making sure it isn’t Word is just part of helping others help you.

Good Luck,

Tonea