Re: Keyboard Shortcuts List

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

Okay, I’ve had time to look at what Gene sent me. I think it is from the software itself.

Joseph, if you are going to make a web page reference for software developers to ensure they don’t conflict with NVDA keyboard controls, then the target audience is sighted people who don’t have this software and may have no experience with the blind or screen readers. With that in mind, I’d like to point out some things.

There are a lot of keyboard commands that say NVDA+letter. You’ll need a clarifier as to what you mean by NVDA. Does it mean that NVDA has to be the focus before selecting the letter?

What is a System Caret? How does that play into the usage of the software by your consumers?

The presentation of Desktop key, Laptop Key, and Touch is fantastic. I strongly suggest you keep that. People read from left to right, so I would recommend moving the Name column to be after the keys and before the description. This aids the sighted viewer in scanning for a particular key combination. If this page you are making is not to be devoted to developers, but to be for general usage, then the advantage of changing column order is not a big gain when the audience is broadened. Don’t feel obligated to change it.

In fact, if you wanted to just modify this list, you could add a column to each table. In the column put one of three characters: E, S, or D. E for essential (the same as sacrosanct). S for Supportive. And D for Developmental. Color coding the rows would still be great, but adding a developer’s column makes a broad document more usable by developers.

The section, “Single letter Navigation” doesn’t make sense to me. I’m sure it will once I get my NVDA, but until then it looks like you’d never be able to write an email because all those single letters are reserved.

For software developers, I wouldn’t put in the braille guides. I would put a reference to them and have them listed on a separate page.

Sorry if I’m being a pest,

Tonea

----- Original Message -----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Morrow, Tonea CTR (FAA)
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:06 AM

Shhhh. Don’t make me laugh so much. I’ll disturb the quiet of the cubicles.

I got Gene’s list, though I haven’t had time to look at it yet. If you are offering to maintain a webpage, then I think the categories you would want to put in it are:

·         Sacrosanct – Do not re-asign these keys because they serve critical functions.

·         Supportive – Do not re-asign these keys if you want to be supportive of our users.

·         Experimental – These keys are in use in experimental versions of our software.

And, in each case, list the key combination paired with the function that it does (a brief description or/and name) so the sighted user can understand why that combination is important.

Visual users like tables, so you could put the key combination in the first cell of each row and the usage in the second cell of each row. Visual users also like color. Using black text and complying with 508 and WCAG AAA and contrast, you could have these:

·         Sacrosanct could have a pink/red color background of (255, 170, 200) in RGB or use hexidecimal FFAAC8 to convey critical.

·         Supportive could have a pale yellow background of (250, 250, 150) in RGB or use hexidecimal FFFF96 to convey pay-attention.

·         Experimental could have a pale blue background of (135, 225, 255) in RGB or use hexidecimal 87E1FF to convey neutral.

Cell borders aren’t necessary, but if you want them then basic black of 1-3 pixels is nice. For a more powerful effect visually, borders could be done to coordinate with the categories:

·         Sacrosanct: 4 pixels, 3-D effect, RGB (95, 65, 0) Hex 710000, a darker red

·         Supportive: 2 pixels, RGB (113, 0, 0) Hex 5F4100, a darker brown

·         Experimental: 2 pixels, RGB (0, 0, 115) Hex 000073, a darker blue

·         Overall page background of white makes the whole color pallete WCAG AAA/contrast compliant

If you don’t want to do tables, a glossary format would work just as well. Just apply a type style to the key combination so that it stands out from the definition. This allows sighted users to make a visual search if they are checking for a specific key combo. Obviously, they wouldn’t want to use Control-Alt-Delete, but if they did then you would want to make it easy for them to visually scan the page to see if that combination is already in use.  Let me know if you need any help or feedback. And, of course, feel free to ignore any or all of my suggestions.

Thank you for helping me get the support NVDA should receive,

Tonea

----- Original Message -----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:13 PM

Hi,

I’ll take care of that. Which edition do you need: latest release, latest public beta, latest alpha, or latest really unstable build? I can do one of these because I have all of them on my computer. It’s a matter of choosing which one you need and uploading to my website.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.