Re: Keyboard Shortcuts List

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

Okay, I’ve had time to look at what Gene sent me. I think it is from the software itself.

Joseph, if you are going to make a web page reference for software developers to ensure they don’t conflict with NVDA keyboard controls, then the target audience is sighted people who don’t have this software and may have no experience with the blind or screen readers. With that in mind, I’d like to point out some things.

There are a lot of keyboard commands that say NVDA+letter. You’ll need a clarifier as to what you mean by NVDA. Does it mean that NVDA has to be the focus before selecting the letter?

What is a System Caret? How does that play into the usage of the software by your consumers?

The presentation of Desktop key, Laptop Key, and Touch is fantastic. I strongly suggest you keep that. People read from left to right, so I would recommend moving the Name column to be after the keys and before the description. This aids the sighted viewer in scanning for a particular key combination. If this page you are making is not to be devoted to developers, but to be for general usage, then the advantage of changing column order is not a big gain when the audience is broadened. Don’t feel obligated to change it.

In fact, if you wanted to just modify this list, you could add a column to each table. In the column put one of three characters: E, S, or D. E for essential (the same as sacrosanct). S for Supportive. And D for Developmental. Color coding the rows would still be great, but adding a developer’s column makes a broad document more usable by developers.

The section, “Single letter Navigation” doesn’t make sense to me. I’m sure it will once I get my NVDA, but until then it looks like you’d never be able to write an email because all those single letters are reserved.

For software developers, I wouldn’t put in the braille guides. I would put a reference to them and have them listed on a separate page.

Sorry if I’m being a pest,

Tonea