Re: Portable version degrading

Gene

Thumb drives aren't reliable enough to use as permanent backup but I've kept files on them for long periods of time with no problems.  I've had the same files elsewhere as well but floppy drives are reasonably reliable.

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Portable version degrading

USB drives do need to be unmounted before removing them, otherwise there is
the risk of file system corruption.  Precisely the same is true for external
hard drives, floppy disks, or any other writeable medium you can temporarily
attach to a computer.

I've never seen a USB thumb drive fall apart, and I think they're considerably
more robust than floppy disks, which is basically what they replaced.  You can
also drop them on the floor with a good deal more confidence of them working
afterwards than if you drop an external hard disk.

Yes, they're vulnerable to static electricity; that's why most of them have
plastic caps to put over the contacts or a slider to retract the contacts into
the body.

My experience is that if they're treated reasonably they work very well.  If
they're mistreated they'll give as many problems as any other mistreated
storage medium.

Antony.

--
#define SIX 1+5
#define NINE 8+1

int main() {
    printf("%d\n", SIX * NINE);
}
- thanks to ECB for bringing this to my attention

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.