From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Portable version degrading

USB drives do need to be unmounted before removing them, otherwise there is
the risk of file system corruption. Precisely the same is true for external
hard drives, floppy disks, or any other writeable medium you can temporarily
attach to a computer.

I've never seen a USB thumb drive fall apart, and I think they're considerably
more robust than floppy disks, which is basically what they replaced. You can
also drop them on the floor with a good deal more confidence of them working
afterwards than if you drop an external hard disk.

Yes, they're vulnerable to static electricity; that's why most of them have
plastic caps to put over the contacts or a slider to retract the contacts into
the body.

My experience is that if they're treated reasonably they work very well. If
they're mistreated they'll give as many problems as any other mistreated
storage medium.

Antony.

On Friday 19 January 2018 at 15:17:36, tonea.ctr.morrow@faa.gov wrote:

A few years back, I had a job for three years where people brought me their
files on USB thumb drives. These things are horrible in terms of
long-life. The really do have to be unmounted prior to removing from the
computer or they get corrupted. They physically fall apart easily. And,
the hardware inside seems to be more vulnerable to static electricity data
loss than other portable drives, certainly more vulnerable than most
computers.

I would think that would be the problem.

Tonea