From: "Rob Hudson" <rob_hudson_3182@gmx.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Portable version degrading

Antony Stone <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it> wrote:
I've never seen a USB thumb drive fall apart, and I think they're considerably
more robust than floppy disks, which is basically what they replaced. You can
also drop them on the floor with a good deal more confidence of them working
afterwards than if you drop an external hard disk.
I put my portable NVDA installs on S D cards and use a ten dollar USB card reader. The only way to hurt a card like that is to drop it in water, I guess. And most computers nowadays come with card readers built in to them.
If you're willing to pay a little more, you can buy USB flash drives in protective, rubberized or metal housings. These are a great deal sturdier than the cheapies you can get for a few bucks. Not only do those fall apart easily, but they will go corrupt faster. Even if you unmount them using the
"Safey Remove Hardware"
item on windows or the
"umount"
option in Linux. Solid state memory only has a limited number of reads/writes.
The least corruptible data medium I've heard of is vinyl records. I've heard you can actually listen to a vinyl record by spinning it and using a pine needle. They have buried some of our worlds most important speeches and such in the desert on vinyl. I'm not sure what it is about that medium specifically that makes it better suited for long term storage, though.