Re: Portable version degrading

Robert Mendoza

This happened to me once though never really thought to used portable all the times. The only could think of is that perhaps the loads of memory could sometimes degrade specially if your flash drive has tons of files stored, on the other hand what I did was I primarily  restored the file specifically for nvda portable and it works fine so in short my assumption is that the more spaces is free the chances of loading the portable faster to load.

Robert Mendoza

On 1/20/2018 12:31 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Restarting nvda doesn't fix this problem when it occurs.  Also, it doesn't seem to get worse with running time--it's there immediately. However, what happens is this problem sneaks up on me and gets worse over time but not with any one running session.  The only cure for it is deleting the portable copy and making a new one. I've never had this happen with my installed copy, but on very rare instances, I've had it act a bit weird, and in this case, restarting it will fix it. I've never had to remove and reinstall my installed copy.

Roger

On 1/19/2018 8:53 PM, Didier Colle wrote:
Dear Roger,

my apologies for being that technical.

Just another question:

when you have such degraded portable version, does that sluggish and weird behavior occur immediately after (re)starting that portable version, or does the situation deteriorate after a while it has been running? In other words, does it help to restart that degraded portable version, without creating a new fresh portable version?

Why I am asking this:
"Also, some functions like hitting the nvda key to either invoke the menu or quit nvda just won't work at all" looks a bit like what i sometimes encounter.
I have the CapsLock key assigned to act also as NVDA key. From time to time (not that often, way too infrequent to be able to do any diagnostics), my installed version of NVDA also becomes sluggish and pressing the CapsLock key toggles the CapsLock state (while when assigned as NVDA key the CapsLock state can only be toggled by pressing the CapsLock key twice). However, simply restarting (pressing ctrl+alt+n) my nvda installation, normalizes the situation. I guess that when I end up in that situation at least the CapsLock key looses all its capability to function as nvda key, but to be honest, I never really tested this as this situation mostly occurs in the worst possible moments and pressing ctrl+alt+n is that easy.
At least the symptoms appears to be similar: sluggishness going hand in hand with the nvda key loosing its function as nvda key. However, from your initial post I understood you had to create a fresh new portable version, while in my case simply restarting nvda is enough. (my above questions are to confirm this). The other difference is that you seem not to have the problem with the installed version, while I do have (although not often) the problem with the installed version. Thus probably we are perceiving different issues....

@Joseph or anyone else with deep knowledge of the nvda core code: do you see possible relationship between sluggishness and the nvda key loosing its capability to function as nvda key.
Would it be possible there are issues with the multithreading implementation in wx? I cannot reliably reproduce my problem, but my feeling/impression (for what it is worth) is it starts manifestating after the cpu has been heavily loaded for a while.... in the end breaking the proper behavior of the multithreading?

Kind regards,

Didier

On 20/01/2018 2:02, Roger Stewart wrote:
Boy, most of this is way over my head! However, I did try running it with add ons disabled and the sluggishness still occurred.  By this I mean that when I type a letter, it may take a second or so for it to be voiced while this is usually instantaneous.  Also, some functions like hitting the nvda key to either invoke the menu or quit nvda just won't work at all and I need to shut it down with my Pview utility.  Most of the other stuff I don't understand at all.  I know Joseph runs something called a virtual machine but it is on his Mac I think and I don't have a Mac here so I probably can't do this.  If this is a built in function of Windows, I'm not aware of it nor how to use it.  Also, I always run my portable copy on my F drive which is a mechanical hard drive.  My main drive is an SSD, so I don't want to update anything there any more often than necessary. I use the portable version to test one particular add on, but this add on is nearly fully matured now and so should need no further testing except for the version for the new Python version to make sure everything is working fine.

Roger

On 1/19/2018 5:40 PM, Didier Colle wrote:
Dear Joseph, roger, all,

@Joseph: not sure to understand what point you try to make. Is your suggestion there is indeed a filesystem problem as the root cause?

trying to recapitulate a few things:

* "it can make it appear that the add on is defective or has a bug while it really doesn't."

@Roger: for any further meaningful diagnosis, I believe a more concrete symptom description is needed? (how does such "would be" bug manifestate itself? Is it always the same "would be" bug or do many "would be" bugs appear randomly? when do such "would be" bugs appear (during loading, during execution of the add-on)?)

* "there's no file system errors"

I guess that means there are no issues with the physical/electronic/magnetic integrity of the storage medium itself (or that the filesystem has set them aside such that they are not used anymore). In case corrupted/broken blocks on the storage medium would be the root cause, something should be found in the logs as loading the relevant python modules should throw an exception (if these exceptions are not logged, it should be possible to do so). Therefore, I dismiss storage medium/filesystem corruption as root cause of the above mentioned "would be" bugs (assuming bugs have to be interpreted as broken functionality).

* "I also notice a few functions of nvda either don't work at all or nvda gets very sluggish in responsiveness"
@Roger: again, for any meaningfull diagnosis, provide a more concrete symptiom description. What functions are you exactly speaking about? What does "not work at all" exactly mean: do you mean sluggishness with extremely long / infinite response times? Or do you get errors? or ... Is the sluggishness general or does it happen in those specific functions? What do you mean by sluggishness: response in only a second? A few seconds? A minute or more? When does sluggishness happen: at time of loading add-on/modules or continuously or ...?
* "... nor any fragmenting.". Statement from Joseph: "In case of Roger's issue: a possible contributing factor is constant add-on updates. He uses an add-on that is updated on a regular basis, .. ..., potentially fragmenting bits of files ..."
The two statements appear to me as contradictory. Fragmentation may be a root cause of sluggishness, but only when access to storage medium is needed and not during general execution which typically takes place from RAM rather then from disc. Therefore, fragmentation issues appear very unlikely to me.

* "while the installed version is always stable as a rock." and "I use the portable copy to test a couple add ons"
@Roger: how much do you use one and the other? How much usage does it take before the portable copy gets degraded?
The two statements suggest there is a problem with the portable copies. However, there seems to be nobody else experiencing the same problem. Thus, I would translate this into the following question that you would need to test/investigage further: is there a conflict between the portable copies and your specific system setup, or is the issue caused by the add-ons under test?
To test the former possibility, why not using a fresh portable copy replicating the setup of your installed version instead of that installed version for a while?
To test the latter that would probably require moving the add-on testing to the installed version: I guess you are using the portable version for this purpose, exactly to avoid messing up the installed version. Would you have the possibility to do the testing in for example a virtual machine, such that you can test on an installed instead of a portable copy version, while not messing up your main system with this testing? Joseph, anyone else: is there a (possibly more cumbersome) way to perform testing on an installed version while keeping at all times a possibility to revert back to a stable/clean situation? (e.g., having a .bat script that swaps configuration file and add-on directories between stable and testing versions and that can easily be executed in between exiting nvda and restarting it?)
In case none of the above options is tried, my suggestions would be then to regularly take snapshot copies of your portable copy such that when degradation takes place a diff between stable and degraded version can be taken and investigated.

In summary, I believe:
1) a much more concrete/detailed/... symptom description is needed before any meaningful statements regarding diagnosis is possible;
2) with the info I have, filesystem/storage medium problems/corruptions are very unlikely.
3) further testing/investigation is needed in order to support/dismiss certain hypotheses.

Kind regards,

Didier

On 19/01/2018 18:19, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
It'll depend on what type of drive it is. If it's a traditional hard drive,
it'll degrade as data moves around, creating the need for defragmentation.
This is especially the case when data is repeatedly written and the file
system is asked to find new locations to hold the constantly changing data.
In case of solid-state drives, it'll degrade if the same region is written
repeatedly, as flash memory has limited endurance when it comes to data
reads and writes.
In case of Roger's issue: a possible contributing factor is constant add-on
updates. He uses an add-on that is updated on a regular basis, putting
strain on part of the drive where the add-on bits are stored. Thus, some
drive sectors are repeatedly bombarded with new information, and one way
operating systems will do in this case is move the new data somewhere else
on the drive, potentially fragmenting bits of files (I'll explain in a
moment). Thus one solution is to not test all add-on updates, but that's a
bit risky as Roger is one of the key testers for this add-on I'm talking
about.
Regarding fragmentation and what not: the following is a bit geeky but I
believe you should know about how some parts of a file system (an in
extension, operating systems) works, because I believe it'll help folks
better understand what might be going on:
Storage devices encountered in the wild are typically organized into many
parts, typically into blocks of fixed-length units called "sectors". A
sector is smallest unit of information that the storage device can present
to the outside world, as in how much data can be held on a storage device.
For example, when you store a small document on a hard disk drive (HDD) and
when you wish to open it in Notepad, Windows will ask a module that's in
charge of organizing and interpreting data on a drive (called a file system)
to locate the sector where the document (or magnets or flash cells that
constitute the document data) is stored and bring it out to you. To you, all
you see is the path to the document, but the file system will ask the drive
controller (a small computer inside hard disks and other storage devices) to
fetch data in a particular sector or region. Depending on what kind of
storage medium you're dealing with, reading from disks may involve waiting
for a platter with desired sector to come to the attention of a read/write
head (a thin magnetic sensor used to detect or make changes to magnetic
fields) or peering inside windows and extracting electrons trapped within.
This last sentence is a vivid description of how hard disks and solid-state
drives really work behind the scenes, respectively.
But storage devices are not just meant for reading things for your
enjoyment. Without means of storing new things, it becomes useless.
Depending on the medium you've got, when you save something to a storage
device, the file system in charge of the device will ask the drive
controller to either find a spot on a disk filled with magnets and change
some magnets, or apply heat pressure to dislodge all cells on a block, erase
the block, add new things, and fill the empty block with modified data
(including old bits). You can imagine how tedious this can get, but as far
as your work is concerned, it is safe and sound.
Now imagine you wish to read and write repeatedly on a storage device. The
file system will repeatedly ask the drive hardware to fetch data from
specific regions, and will look for new locations to store changes. On a
hard drive, because there are limited number of heads and it'll take a while
for desired magnetic region to come to attention of one, read speed is slow,
hence increased latency (latency refers to how long you have to wait for
something to happen). When it comes to saving things to HDD's, all the drive
needs to do is tell the read/write head to change some magnets wherever it
wishes, hence data overriding is possible and easy. But operating systems
(rather, file systems) are smarter than that, as we'll see below.
In case of solid-state drives, reading data is simple as looking up the
address (or sector) where the electrons comprising the data you want is
saved (akin to walking down a street grid), so no need to wait for a sensor
to wait for something to happen. This is the reason why solid-state drives
appear to respond fast when reading something. On the other hand, writing or
injecting electrons is very slow because the drive needs to erase the entire
block before writing new data. In other words, just changing a letter in a
document and saving it to an SSD involves a lot of work, hence SSD's are
slower when it comes to writing new things, but because of the underlying
technology in use, it is way faster than hard disks.
As hinted above, file systems are smarter than drive controllers to some
extent. If data is written to a drive, the drive controller will process
whatever it comes along its path. But file systems won't let drive
controllers get away with that: file systems such as NTFS (New Technology
File System) will schedule data writes so it'll have minimal impact on the
lifespan of a storage device. For hard disks, it'll try its best to tell the
drive to store file data in consecutive locations in one big batch, but that
doesn't always work. For SSD's, the file system will ask the drive to
storage new information in different cells so all regions can be used
equally (at least for storing new information; this is called ware
leveling). One way to speed things up is asking the drive to reorganize data
so file fragments can be found in consecutive sectors or trim deleted
regions so fresh information can be written to more blocks (for HDD's and
SSD's, respectively), and this operation itself is tedious and produce bad
results if not done correctly and carefully.

I do understand the above explanation is a bit geeky, but I believe you need
to know some things about how things work. It is also a personal exercise to
refresh my memory on certain computer science topics (I majored in it not
long ago, and my interests were mostly hardware and operating systems, hence
I was sort of naturally drawn to screen reader internals and how it
interacts with system software).
Cheers,
Joseph