Re: Two cautionary tales, beware and a laugh.

Yeah, you need to tab twice to a checkbox and uncheck it and just make sure to do it the first time round else you will have to exit and relaunch the installer.

ccleaner is part of avast now so we are stuck with it now.

You just have to be awake, the first tab will mention something about security, tab again and there is the checkbox, overshoot and the installer will look like normal and you have to exit and come back in.

I usually update first thing in the morning but if you are half a sleep you will probably miss it.

Sadly a friend used a lot of free cleaners, cleanmaster, puron, ccleaner, and his admin decided that all the free software he loaded including ccleaner was malware filled.

And told him to use norton which his work uses.

Trouble is the interface is rather to complex.

For whatever reason some of my friends used norton at home and still use it.

Especially with the cpu slowdowns and patches, norton is just not something I'd use.

On 23/01/2018 1:00 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Firstly the latest version of Ccleaner is becoming a pest. it seems to be able to unilaterally decide to install avast anti virus without telling anyone until its too late. Unchecky did not spot it and yesterday, I twice had to take a machine back a day to get rid of it as I'm sure you are all aware how unfriendly the uninstaller is to screenreaders. Its left bits all over the machine, including in some folders labelled Cisco for some reason.
I fell that I need to warn folk about this unacceptable behaviour of ccleaner. It claims, apparently to be easy to remove but not for us.

Secondly the laugh.
Microsoft Security Essentials is something we use in Windows 7, but a person I know was having issues with it crashing, so he sent me a dictated email about it via his Iphone. This wonderful software has renamed this Microsoft program as
Microsoft Security Squirrels.

OK fine, so I had this wonderful picture of the innards of my machine with all These squirrels inside burying viruses all over the place.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-