Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Portable version degrading

1. It's not USB.  Roger said that what he's referring to as his "portable"
version is in fact on an internal hard disk.  I know that may seem an odd use
of the word "portable", but at least it means we can rule out any problems to
do with externally connected devices.

2. The drive is (presumably) not the same one as contains Roger's "standard"
version of NVDA, because the "portable" copy is on a traditional spinning-rust
HDD, whereas his system drive is on an SSD, which is where I assume his
standard version of NVDA is installed.  Therefore your suggestion to check how
full each drive is is well worth while, although I would still expect the
system only to have a single swap partition / file, so if it runs out of memory
running either version of NVDA, swapping will occur in exactly the same way
for each.

3. The drive containing the "portable" copy is an HDD, whereas the main system
drive is an SSD, so drive degradation of the portable copy is a possible
cause, agreed.

Antony.

--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.