From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] It is accomplished: Welcome to NVDA 2018 is now COMPLETE!

Hi Joseph

I just downloaded your tutorials in the zip file and apart from the last couple of files they were named and the other ones had section. but did not say what they covered unless you go to the website.

Would it be possible to put into the zip file  either in  or html what they refer to like on the website of yours.

I know i could easy do it my self but then every one would have to do it to if they want to know what the files refer to.

If it was done by you every one that downloaded the zip file would have the either or html file  to refer to.

I was just thinking if some one burned your tutorials onto a disk with a copy of nvda and gave it away.

They might not have internet access and would not know what sections cover with out the file.

And listening to the whole lot.

If the file is html they can as you know just jump down by headings then refer on the html file to which mp3 file it points to.

Gene nz
.

And also refer to your website when they do have internet access.

On 2/1/2018 12:50 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Dear global NVDA community,

It is done! I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of the long-awaited update to a popular series of free tutorials for NVDA users: Welcome to NVDA, now in its third edition. Based on NVDA 2018.1 with some features from 2017.4, this tutorial set will take you on a cruise around NVDA world, including installation, concepts, usage, commands, configuration, tools, add-ons and beyond.

The complete package (as a zip file) with introduction and what’s new, the main tutorial series, and two addenda can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/Welcome%20to%20NVDA%202018%20Audio%20Tutorial.zip

The changes made between 2015 and 2018 editions are too numerous to list, but the highlights include use of a completely new speech synthesizer, web browsing using Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox, new settings and concepts, and so many changes to add-ons and other topics. It’ll take pages to talk about changes between 2013 and 2018 editions, as there are so many to list.

Copyright notices: NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) is copyright 2006-2018 by NV Access Limited, released under GPL 2. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Edge, Windows OneCore voices and related products are copyright Microsoft Corporation. Firefox is copyright Mozilla Foundation. Other products mentioned in the tutorial set are copyrighted by makers of these products. Welcome to NVDA tutorial set is copyright 2013-2018 Joseph Lee, with permissive license for free distribution and sharing.

One major announcement: this will be my last grand scale tutorial project for the NVDA community. We have better tutorials now, including the official NVDA Basic Training module from NV Access. If anyone wants to produce the fourth edition of Welcome to NVDA (perhaps in 2020), you have my blessing. All I ask of you is that you do it not for fame or glory, but because you love this community.

Also, regarding payments for my work: the Welcome to NVDA series is, was, and should remain free in consideration for many people who do not have financial security to pay for assistance or product tutorials. If you insist on paying me for this tutorial, I’d rather ask you to donate to NV Access instead so NVDA screen reader development can continue. If you still insist on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA; joking), I’d still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project that improves lives in the long run.

Other final matters:

  • Text transcriptions are always welcome.
  • Translations are more than welcome.
  • Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
  • I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites, mainstream media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.

Final remarks: I’d like to thank you all for your support for the last six weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.

Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Cheers,

Joseph