From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] The application key or shift+f10 don't work for me with NVDA

Hmmm To be honest, when this happens, I usually restart from the start.

My reason is that as an admin you have no control of what x user does, have they installed and removed software, do they have spyware, did they have something from another source.

You could take it back step by step but that could take a while.

Usually I start from the basics.

What is the issue, firstly, reformat time.

Next, load windows, load all programs I use.

Load all the software the user says they use.

Usually at this point things work.

Test the hardware, if its dirty clean it, if something is broken though fix that.

Usually its a user action, and a reformat makes it all nice till the user screws up again.

If its hardware then you notice it soon enough when you start the box.

In most situations software wise, its never your standard software windows and office, cloud software, itunes and a few other things, runtimes, codecs, brousers.

Over that, there is no way for me the tech to know what is screwed without a good reformat to see if its anything really bad.

On the times I have worked top to bottom in this way even if I know the issue its usually because either I know the issue and can fix it, or I don't have time or the time I need to fix is shorter than standard.

I know for standard software configurations depending on speed though that it can take between 1-7 days to bring it back from the brink, test and varify what is going on.

But if I do it the other way, it can take me 3 days to fix the issue, maybe a few minutes to clear the issue but ages to fix dammage caused by the repair.

Even if its just a user account issue that can take me 2 hours alone to fix even if I know what I am doing.

Happily due to the clients I service not being of the teen ager type anymore they usually leave their systems at standard config which means mostly I don't need the system for more than a couple days unless something fails, or they tell me something what they want before they just go ahead and get it.

For example I have had users ask me for x bit of software, only to say I have issues with my system because I was trying to get x bit of software for y function so I loaded all this stuff on and now the system isn't working.

Or I needed x bit of software to do things and it said I had a problem so I did all this stuff and now its not working.

Most of the time I know where to get x bit of software and can spend 5 minutes installing it.

In those cases I have to shake my head and just push through.

Most of the time its junk cleanout though due to a spyware issue I just reformatted and then things worked again.

Ofcause I made sure to note down and install said functionality which after I was done the user suddenly decides they no longer need.

Ofcause there can be the the system doesn't work because a bit of hardware say wireless card just doesn't work right and I have all sorts of virus issues.

I get home, I connect the system, there are no issues.

I run the wireless card there are issues.

The wireless card is searched, and I find x hardware and in fact company doesn't exist anymore.

I have to wait for new hardware which happily does work, stupidly I got the wrong sized thing which just means I have a system now which I work on which is full of celotaped things but it works well enough.

On 31/01/2018 11:58 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
A bit draconian really. I'm just wondering when this started, ie if it did work its worth taking the machine back and seeing what was installed or uninstalled in between.If you take it back and its still the same one can be pretty sure its some corruption in a piece of softwares code or set up.

It needs a sit down and a logical mind to do one test at a time and put things back as they were if it made no difference.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-