From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] It is accomplished: Welcome to NVDA 2018 is now COMPLETE!

Dear global NVDA community,

It is done! I'm delighted to announce the immediate release of the
long-awaited update to a popular series of free tutorials for NVDA users:
Welcome to NVDA, now in its third edition. Based on NVDA 2018.1 with some
features from 2017.4, this tutorial set will take you on a cruise around
NVDA world, including installation, concepts, usage, commands,
configuration, tools, add-ons and beyond.

The complete package (as a zip file) with introduction and what's new, the
main tutorial series, and two addenda can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/Welcome%20to%20NVDA%202018%20Audio%20Tu
torial.zip

The changes made between 2015 and 2018 editions are too numerous to list,
but the highlights include use of a completely new speech synthesizer, web
browsing using Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox, new settings and
concepts, and so many changes to add-ons and other topics. It'll take pages
to talk about changes between 2013 and 2018 editions, as there are so many
to list.

Copyright notices: NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) is copyright 2006-2018 by
NV Access Limited, released under GPL 2. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Edge,
Windows OneCore voices and related products are copyright Microsoft
Corporation. Firefox is copyright Mozilla Foundation. Other products
mentioned in the tutorial set are copyrighted by makers of these products.
Welcome to NVDA tutorial set is copyright 2013-2018 Joseph Lee, with
permissive license for free distribution and sharing.

One major announcement: this will be my last grand scale tutorial project
for the NVDA community. We have better tutorials now, including the official
NVDA Basic Training module from NV Access. If anyone wants to produce the
fourth edition of Welcome to NVDA (perhaps in 2020), you have my blessing.
All I ask of you is that you do it not for fame or glory, but because you
love this community.

Also, regarding payments for my work: the Welcome to NVDA series is, was,
and should remain free in consideration for many people who do not have
financial security to pay for assistance or product tutorials. If you insist
on paying me for this tutorial, I'd rather ask you to donate to NV Access
instead so NVDA screen reader development can continue. If you still insist
on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA; joking),
I'd still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project
that improves lives in the long run.

Other final matters:

* Text transcriptions are always welcome.
* Translations are more than welcome.
* Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
* I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different
purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites, mainstream
media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.

Final remarks: I'd like to thank you all for your support for the last six
weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.

Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Cheers,

Joseph