Re: say copy selected text

Gene

I'm saying that I know that JAWS and System access detected the operation correctly.  I've tested it when there was nothing on the clipboard and I got no indication that anything had occurred.  I don't remember now if there was silence or some sort of message such as nothing to copy.  That wasn't the phrase, if one was used.

I also tested with System Access and again, I wasn't told that copying or pasting had occurred when there was nothing to copy or paste.

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] say copy selected text

Can I just clarify what I said please - there is a difference between detecting that a user has pressed control+c and assuming (perhaps even by knowing we are in Word and there was text selected) that text has been copied, and actually knowing that the contents of the clipboard have changed, and how.  If done intelligently, then yes the first way may be right most of the time and for the majority of users that may be accurate enough.  If everything works, then yes, from a user's perspective, it doesn't overly matter how the information was ascertained, we just weren't comfortable reporting something that we couldn't ascertain.

The other issue may be that ascertaining that information definitively could come with a performance cost.  NVDA would need to constantly know the state of the clipboard in order to know, when the user presses CONTROL+C, whether the contents of the clipboard have changed.

Again, I'm not saying it can't change, or even disagreeing with the argument for change, just presenting the original thinking and how we got to where we are now.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I never had the JAWS copy and paste command not work except perhaps very rarely when I had to restart the screen-reader to cause it to work again.  But that means nothing about the function.  At times, you have to restart programs because some problem develops that is solved in that way.

Gene