Re: say copy selected text

Gene

I'm saying that I know that JAWS and System access detected the operation correctly.  I've tested it when there was nothing on the clipboard and I got no indication that anything had occurred.  I don't remember now if there was silence or some sort of message such as nothing to copy.  That wasn't the phrase, if one was used. 

I also tested with System Access and again, I wasn't told that copying or pasting had occurred when there was nothing to copy or paste.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] say copy selected text

Can I just clarify what I said please - there is a difference between detecting that a user has pressed control+c and assuming (perhaps even by knowing we are in Word and there was text selected) that text has been copied, and actually knowing that the contents of the clipboard have changed, and how.  If done intelligently, then yes the first way may be right most of the time and for the majority of users that may be accurate enough.  If everything works, then yes, from a user's perspective, it doesn't overly matter how the information was ascertained, we just weren't comfortable reporting something that we couldn't ascertain.

The other issue may be that ascertaining that information definitively could come with a performance cost.  NVDA would need to constantly know the state of the clipboard in order to know, when the user presses CONTROL+C, whether the contents of the clipboard have changed.

Again, I'm not saying it can't change, or even disagreeing with the argument for change, just presenting the original thinking and how we got to where we are now.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I never had the JAWS copy and paste command not work except perhaps very rarely when I had to restart the screen-reader to cause it to work again.  But that means nothing about the function.  At times, you have to restart programs because some problem develops that is solved in that way. 

Gene
----- Original Message ----
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 5:02 PM

I used Jaws for years on XP and W7 and the cut/copy/paste  feature never worked consistently.  The clipspeak add-on at least tells you the keystroke you have pressed even if it may or may not have worked and is less verbose than switching on the speak command keys feature of NVDA.  I use clipspeak add-on and the only thing that bugs me about it is that it says “Re-Do” when I use control+y in MS Outlook and W10 Mail to display the folder list.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 4 February 2018 22:21
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

It is important to consider doing so.  And as far as not being able to detect this before, I don't know why.  JAWS has done so at least as far back as XP and probably much longer.  System Access does this as well and has done so for years. 

This is an important feature and shouldn't be relegated to an add on.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:53 PM

The reason it isn't built in is precisely what you just said - when it was first being looked at, we couldn't actually know whether text had been cut, copied or pasted etc.  All we could do was detect that control+c had been pressed and know that is GENERALLY used for copy.  We didn't want to tell the user something had been copied when it hadn't, so instead there is the "Speak command keys" option (NVDA+4 or via the NVDA keyboard preferences NVDA+control+k) which will read CONTROL+C in that instance.

The SpeakClip add-on does read the command - cut, copy, paste, select all etc.  It does make an effort to report this intelligently.  I recall a conversation with someone recently who said it is now more possible to accurately tell what has happened (text has been cut, a file has been copied, etc).  If that is the case, then it potentially could be considered to be built in.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Been here before. There is a fake clipboard announcement add on but its not intelligent in that its really just reading the key combinations. There was an intelligent one being developed but it was slow and prone to malfunctions and creating memory errors in Microsoft Word so I uninstalled it.
I have always said it should be designed in as a novice mode bit of help, but at the time I think it was thought too hard to make it take into account all the instances and get the indication correct.
This is one to bring up again on the add ons list I'd imagine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin" <kleeva5@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2018 6:38 PM
Subject: [nvda] say copy selected text

How can I set NVDA to say copy selected text to the clip board and other like commands when I copy, cut or paste!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.