text, yes? So all it needs to do is compare the selected text to the
clipboard after a copy operation. Otherwise, it doesn't need to care
about the clipboard at all.

On 2/4/2018 19:52, Gene wrote:
I'm saying that I know that JAWS and System access detected the
operation correctly.  I've tested it when there was nothing on the
clipboard and I got no indication that anything had occurred.  I don't
remember now if there was silence or some sort of message such as
nothing to copy.  That wasn't the phrase, if one was used.
I also tested with System Access and again, I wasn't told that copying
or pasting had occurred when there was nothing to copy or paste.
*From:* Quentin Christensen <mailto:quentin@...>
*Sent:* Sunday, February 04, 2018 5:53 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] say copy selected text

Can I just clarify what I said please - there is a difference between
detecting that a user has pressed control+c and assuming (perhaps even
by knowing we are in Word and there was text selected) that text has
been copied, and actually knowing that the contents of the clipboard
have changed, and how.  If done intelligently, then yes the first way
may be right most of the time and for the majority of users that may
be accurate enough.  If everything works, then yes, from a user's
perspective, it doesn't overly matter how the information was
ascertained, we just weren't comfortable reporting something that we
couldn't ascertain.

The other issue may be that ascertaining that information definitively
could come with a performance cost.  NVDA would need to constantly
know the state of the clipboard in order to know, when the user
presses CONTROL+C, whether the contents of the clipboard have changed.

Again, I'm not saying it can't change, or even disagreeing with the
argument for change, just presenting the original thinking and how we
got to where we are now.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Gene <gsasner@...
<mailto:gsasner@...>> wrote:

I never had the JAWS copy and paste command not work except
perhaps very rarely when I had to restart the screen-reader to
cause it to work again.  But that means nothing about the
function.  At times, you have to restart programs because some
problem develops that is solved in that way.
Gene