Re: important to read before installing CCleaner

Gene

I've never heard of anyone getting it from Ninite.  That aside, you have to know how to protect yourself when downloading and installing free software.  You have to check the web page carefully for check boxes to refuse additional programs.  You have to look, using object navigation when installing a program and even that may not work.  You should be using unchecky, a utility you install and then just let it sit there, looking for bundled software.  It can't block everything but it blocks a lot and it may save you from downloading additional programs.

I can't say this is generally true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  If a site offers a portable version of a program. that program may not have any additional programs bundled with it.  By definition, a portable program makes no changes to your system.

From: Arlene
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] important to read before installing CCleaner

Can you get it off ninite?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February-05-18 10:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.