From: "tina sohl" <tinabir80@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA question

Ok thanks for clarifying that.

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I was out all day yesterday, so coming back in late to all the
questions. It looks like most have been answered.

Re the OCR, if you are using Windows 10 and NVDA 2017.3 or later, you don't
need an addon for OCR. If you are using an either version of either NVDA
or Windows, then you will need the addon. Basically, the OCR works on
images, whether jpg graphic files or PDF documents etc. It won't do the
scanning of hardcopy documents itself - to do that you will need scanning
software. Any hardware scanner should come with software, and possibly
also an OCR program, though how accessible and how good any of them are
varies. So the Windows 10 OCR, or the addon are really useful, but likely
not a complete replacement for an OCR package like Omnipage or Abbyy
Finereader, particularly for converting hardcopy documents into electronic
text.

The other question was around using NVDA to control the mouse. NVDA can
click or lock either mouse button, make the focus jump to where the mouse
pointer is, or jump the mouse pointer to the item with focus, see the User
Guide for the keys for each:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#toc39

Windows has a "mousekeys" function which lets you move the mouse with the
keyboard, and there is also an add-on for NVDA called "Golden Cursor" which
has even more functionality:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/goldenCursor.en.html

The other thing to consider is why you want to move the mouse. Depending
on where you are and what you are trying to do, NVDA has a feature called
"object navigation" which is very powerful although does take a little bit
to get your head around. Essentially object navigation lets you move
through the objects in the current program (and out of the current
program). Microsoft Word for instance has objects for the ribbon, the
scroll bars, ruler and main document. When you go into an object (say the
ribbon), you can move through the ribbon sections, then go down into a
particular section to navigate through the ribbon items in that section.
Some people like it for navigating the ribbon, but another thing you can do
with it, is get to features which you can't ordinarily get to with the
keyboard and interact with it - it can be used to read, and copy read only
text on a dialog box for instance.

Bonus tip: You can copy the text from a dialog box which has focus, by
simply pressing CONTROL+C. For instance, open Notepad, type something,
press ALT+F4. A dialog will appear asking "Do you want to save changes to
untitled" with buttons for "save", "don't save" and "cancel". To copy all
that, simply press CONTROL+C. It copies the following to the clipboard:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 5:42 AM, Gene New Zealand <
hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

If you look in the menus of nvda by pressing the nvda key + letter N then
go down to preferences then right to general settings then down to
windows
10 ocr there will be a menu there but is more to set your language. You
must also have windows 10 as well at present i am using nvda 2017.4.

When you want to ocr say a photo with text etc in it make sure it is in
focus then use the nvda key + letter R.

it will start recognizing it and rip the text out of it of which then you
can arrow up and down to see what is there. It brings up a little windows
where you can do that and even do it letter by letter and character by
character. It can also be copied and pasted.

If you do not have a windows 10 machine that option will not be there.

Instead then you have to use the other ocr add on and it is slightly
different to read the text. I can give directions to use that one and
point
you in the right direction if this is the case.

Gene nz

On 2/7/2018 9:02 PM, Alma wrote:

Hi Tina,

I’d like to know, too.